Discovery and Inventory Group

View Only
  • 1.  SW Inventory on Ubuntu Linux

Posted Nov 03, 2016 06:47 PM

Could you advise how Installed SW can be detected on Ubuntu, please?

HW and OS and even File Audit are correct.

Looks like RPM packages are implemented differently from Red Hat or Suse.

Thanks. Jan

• 2.  RE: SW Inventory on Ubuntu Linux

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 04, 2016 08:37 AM

Hi Jan,

Are you talking about RPM  or debian packages? As I know it should  be possible to  collect rpm packages on both OSs without any exception.

Detecting debian packages is not implemented on 7.x. But  I guess this can be achived by inventory solution. Will take a look.

Thanks,

AndreiF

• 3.  RE: SW Inventory on Ubuntu Linux

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 02, 2016 10:02 AM

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

In attach you can find Debian_Package_Info.xml  - an example/template you can refer to while building your own  custom data class for debian pacakges, or you can import it as is to your NS. 

Custom Inventory - Debian Packages.xml - is a script that populates this data class. 

I checked this on ITMS 8.0 HF4 using ubuntu 16.

Thanks,

AndreiF

Attachment(s)

• 4.  RE: SW Inventory on Ubuntu Linux

Posted Dec 06, 2016 07:45 AM

Hello Andrei,

That is great, thanks - it works perfectly (even in v7.6).

UBU_DEBPKG.png

Your help is really appreciated.

Jan

• 5.  RE: SW Inventory on Ubuntu Linux

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 07, 2016 04:27 AM

Hi Jan,

I have tested this on ubuntu 16. Seems that for Ubuntu v 12 command output differs from v16, hence information from client goes into incorrect column. Will  update script to support ubuntu 12 and 14. 

Thanks,

AndreiF

• 6.  RE: SW Inventory on Ubuntu Linux

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 07, 2016 11:12 AM
      |   view attached

Attaching second version of the script that should work on ubuntu strating from v12

Thanks,

AndreiF

Attachment(s)

• 7.  RE: SW Inventory on Ubuntu Linux

Posted Dec 09, 2016 03:54 PM

Thanks - I will try that new script.

That brings additional question: is that Ubuntu machine "Server" or "Workstation" type? Could you check on your test machines and advise how to clasify that?

The reason I am asking is, that Server Inventory Plug-in installs on server and not on workstation OS - at least on Windows OS is that rule valid.

Well, I have not detected any databases reported on Ubuntu - does that mean that none of my Ubuntu machines have Oracle Database installed, or is that because Server Inventory is not able to detect Oracle Database on Ubuntu?

Please check if you have Oracle DB on your test Ubuntu and whether or not Server Inventory task is able to report it properly.

I am not Linux expert and therefore cannot confirm how it works on Linux to detect for databases. I wonder to know :-)

Thanks ahead.

Jan

• 8.  RE: SW Inventory on Ubuntu Linux

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 16, 2016 10:34 AM

Hi,

I have both. But nor of them have Oracle DB installed. And as I know Oracle DB is not certified to run on Ubuntu. See https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/LADBN/toc.htm#LADBN101. Instead I can check same for MySQL DB, which is supported.

Thanks,

AndreiF

• 9.  RE: SW Inventory on Ubuntu Linux

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 24, 2016 07:11 PM

Hi,

Attaching new data class and script  xmls for installed software report. This is now perl based and contains additional column - InstalledDate. But please, take into account that Ubuntu and its package manager doesn't hold software installation time, hence it is calculated based on based on some secondary signs.

I also checked ability to collect MySQL information using server packs. Unfortunately it doesn't work out of the box. Problem is in default shell used in Ubuntu - /bin/dash, hence default /bin/sh points us to /bin/dash. However after I have changed bin/sh to point to bin/bash - mysql information was successfully collected. 
    The first option is to modify inventory scripts to be compatible with dash shell (remove any bash specific constructions). And the second option is to create job that will contain 3 tasks - first will change /bin/sh to point to /bin/bash, second will launch inventory , and third will return /bin/sh to point back to bin/dash. 

Thanks,

Andrei