Discovery and Inventory Group

View Only
  • 1.  Out of box SW Product Criteria not correct

Posted Dec 22, 2013 01:53 PM

Hi for some of the Software Products, specially SQL Server 2008, SW product criteria out of box picks up the updates, Managmenet studio etc as SQL server 2008 installs. 

There were few others I believe but now I corrected the criteria so only get the installations and in some cases I created custom detection rules. 

But trying to understand the value of out of box products and should they be used for License compliance. ?

• 2.  RE: Out of box SW Product Criteria not correct

Posted Apr 26, 2014 02:12 AM

It is my understanding that the SW Products provided are configured with generic rules so as not to miss anything related to the product in question.

Yes I know it would be nice if they only targeted core components of the product and not everything.

And yes, its annyoing that once you modify a provided SW Product, it will not be updated when a new catalog XML is released.

So, you can either modify the existing one so that they only target what you need, or create a new one yourself so as to preserver the original items allowing them to be updated.

I believe a software license only allows you to associate a sw product and not an EXE, so you have no choice if you wish to use that license attribute type.