CMS 7.1 SP2 MP1 - Windows 7 clients
Looking for some help with file baselining as I'm getting some seemingly odd results. First I want to make sure I've got the process correct, as the documentation was a bit confusing:
1) Ran File Configuration Editor from the NS to create a baseline (bls) file on the NS in the FileBaselinePackage folder . In this case, all I wanted to look at was the EXE and DLL files in the Altiris Agent folder and subfolders (Except Software Delivery) on my clients.
2) Created a baseline snapshot task, using the bls file above as a custom baseline
3) Ran the baseline task against a reference computer
4) Grabbed the bls file from the eXpress\baseline folder on the reference computer and copied it to the FileBaselinePackage folder on the NS, replacing the original bls file
5) Created a baseline compliance task, using the reference computer's bls file as the custom snapshot
6) Ran the compliance task against a typical computer and viewed results in the baseline reports, specifically the Summary of All File Baselines report
Assuming the above is correct, the results I'm getting aren't what I would expect, as I'm getting 0% compliance (87 files added, 57 files different, 87 files missing, 144 files in snapshot). I took both the reference computer and another computer and reinstalled the agent on both and got the same result. I compared the two folders with a third party tool and it says they are identical. What am I missing/doing wrong?
I attached the bls file (Altiris32BitAgent.txt) from the NS and the backup nsi file (Altiris_32-bit_Agent_1.05.txt) from one of the clients.
By documentation, do you mean some part of the Inventory Solution user guide?
Thank you for the information!
I'll update the doc, so that the users won't have this problem in future :)
I've updated the information in the Inventory User Guide.
Hopefully, it will be more useful for the future users :)
Thanks for your response. I had reviewed those videos, and they helped get me this far. Baselining appears to be "working", but I'm having trouble explaining the results I'm getting (please see my original post). Do you have any thoughts on why if I run a compare using a baseline from a reference computer against an identical computer I get 0% compliance?
I'm afraid I cannot help you in understanding these results. Once I got the baseline working I had to begin working in another topic we had pending, and I had no time to lern to interpret the results we were getting.
If I happen to find any way of understing the results I'll come back to you.
Good luck :)
I also had troubles when trying to follow the documentation guidelins for creating (and using) a file baseline, until I discovered these three videos:
They helped me in getting things working.
Hope they help you ;)
Yes...my first attemp was to follow the chaper 9 of the Inventory Solution 7.1 SP2 user guide.
I guess I missed some steps because I could not make the filebase to gather the information. I found and followed the videos, and I got the baseline to run successfully.