Discovery and Inventory Group

View Only
  • 1.  How can I rename a department and location in ITMS 7.1.

Posted Dec 28, 2012 08:09 AM

I have several departments and locations where the name has changed how do I rename the departments and locations?

I would like to do this in a way that preserves the original GUID.

What table is the department and location names stored in?

Thanks
    Derik

• 2.  RE: How can I rename a department and location in ITMS 7.1.

Posted Dec 28, 2012 09:14 AM

For locations, you can do it through the GUI via Manage->Assets. Locations are found under organizational types. This does preserve the GUID just fine. That said, if you really desperately want to change it via SQL, the location name is stored in the name field in the dbo.Item table. Needless to say, changing it there isn't supported by Symantec, I'd think.

Regarding departments, the thing to question is whether or not you import departments from AD. My environment does, which means all I need to do is rename a department in AD and it will sync up with ITMS. Additionally, you can create new departments and rename existing ones just like locations from Manage->Assets. If you are importing from AD though, I'm pretty sure the next sync will rename any existing ones back to what they are in AD. Again, if you really want to change it via SQL, I think the dbo.RM_ResourceDepartment table holds what you want.

I suppose I should point out that both those table names only hold the name field. If you are looking for additional details, you'll want to chase those details tables down. The easiest way to do that, IMHO, is to view the design of the location and department views in the DB. You may have ot go back a couple levels, but you should be able to find them.

• 3.  RE: How can I rename a department and location in ITMS 7.1.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 28, 2012 10:30 AM

In the console, under Manage > Organizational Views and Groups, any of the containers in the left pane (except the top level, Organizational Views) can be edited like any windows folder by clicking twice, right clicking and renaming, or selecting and clicking once in the name field in the right pane (the method I find easist). To see the GUID before and after your changes, right click on the container in the left pane and select properties - GUID remains the same. Just keep in mind the consderations Michael broght up.