Discovery and Inventory Group

View Only
  • 1.  Enable usage tracking with SQL update

Posted Jan 14, 2014 08:18 AM

Enable usage tracking with SQL update, is there a way to do this so we do not have to go and click on each software product and enable usage tracking. I am sure its an update in one of the tables like Inv_SoftwareProduct_InstallationInfo , but not sure. Please if you have any suggestions let me know. 

• 2.  RE: Enable usage tracking with SQL update

Posted Jan 14, 2014 08:45 AM
    Are you referring to the managed software product option?

• 3.  RE: Enable usage tracking with SQL update

Posted Jan 14, 2014 09:33 AM

Yes i am referring to Managed Software product option, (not the app metering polices) 

• 4.  RE: Enable usage tracking with SQL update

Posted Jan 14, 2014 11:46 AM

You only want to enable it for some products, it generates a fair amount of data and makes the reports slower.

• 5.  RE: Enable usage tracking with SQL update

Posted Jan 14, 2014 11:55 AM
    Its also not as simple as changing a setting within the database, as that usage option can only be enabled if a program has been associated with a sw component that is related to the product. I have found that it is much easier to use app metering policies as you have to go to the same console location to create your app metering blacklist.

• 6.  RE: Enable usage tracking with SQL update

Posted Jan 14, 2014 12:45 PM

I agree with both of you , just wanted to see if there is a quick way to turn on or off from database. I have a case where i need to set on some products and turn off on others, and did not wanted to click on by one. 

I agree app metering is still the best way to go as file association to software product is not always there. 

So if its available via SQL to enable or disable that would be great. 

• 7.  RE: Enable usage tracking with SQL update

Posted Jan 15, 2014 06:57 AM

I have found that this data is stored in the Inv_Software_Product_Usage table, but only when that option has been enabled.

The following query will display you details about that table:

SELECT p.Name AS SoftwareProduct,u.UsageCount,u.IsUsageTracked,u.TrackingStartDate
    FROM RM_ResourceSoftware_Product p
    JOIN Inv_Software_Product_Usage u ON u._ResourceGuid = p.[Guid]
    ORDER BY p.Name ASC

The following query will disable that option for all Software Products that have it enabled:

UPDATE Inv_Software_Product_Usage
    SET IsUsageTracked = '0'
    WHERE IsUsageTracked = '1'