Discovery and Inventory Group

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Inventory Solution and Pack are installed, but not configured properly.

• 1.  Inventory Solution and Pack are installed, but not configured properly.

Posted Nov 06, 2012 12:46 PM

I used the SIM to install the Inventory Solution and Pack (7.0 SP2).  It (and all the required components) installs, but the SIM shows it is not configured properly.  I have done the following w/o success:

• Uninstall and Reinstall
    • Reconfigure the components
    • Reconfigure the database
    • Run aexconfig /configure "D:\Program Files\Altiris\Inventory\Config\inventory.config"

I have uninstalled everything from the SIM and I am ready to begin again.  I have found articles that say I can run the indiviudal MSIs, but I can't find them.

• 2.  RE: Inventory Solution and Pack are installed, but not configured properly.

Posted Nov 06, 2012 01:10 PM

They should be here:

D:\Program Files\Altiris\Symantec Installation Manager\Installs\Altiris

but I'm guessing you've done a search for *.msi and not found them. You could run Symantec Installation Manager and create an installation package, that should download them all again to that folder first AFAIK.

When you run the individual msi's you need to use a command line:

msiexec /i [msiname.msi] SKIPAIM=1

• 3.  RE: Inventory Solution and Pack are installed, but not configured properly.

Posted Nov 06, 2012 01:18 PM

Ok, once I do that, how do I know which ones I need to run (other than guessing off the names)?  Is there a document/article that tells you which ones you need to run to install the Inventory Solution, Pack and any other required components?

• 4.  RE: Inventory Solution and Pack are installed, but not configured properly.

Posted Nov 06, 2012 01:28 PM

No, there isn't a proper list. But if you run SIM and use the "Create installation package" option at the bottom, once you select Inventory solution and prgress through you will see a list of all the packs you get. You could even go all the way through and see what msi files end up in the pack.

I take it you've been following this:

'Symantec Installation Manager shows "Product is not properly configured" or "Partial installation" for a product'

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH122207

• 5.  RE: Inventory Solution and Pack are installed, but not configured properly.

Posted Nov 06, 2012 01:35 PM

I was not aware of that article, but some others that were similar.  I will proceed with your suggestions and this article.

• 6.  RE: Inventory Solution and Pack are installed, but not configured properly.

Posted Nov 06, 2012 01:43 PM

Interesting, if I use the SIM and select Install New Products, I see the Inventory Solution and Pack as version 7.0.1332, but if I choose create installation package, I see those PLUS version 7.1.7580.  I also notice there are newer versions of the other required features as well.

Is that becuase I am on Management Platform version 7.0.8800?

• 7.  RE: Inventory Solution and Pack are installed, but not configured properly.

Posted Nov 06, 2012 01:48 PM

Yes, you can't install 7.1 solutions on a 7.0 SMP but you can create an Installation Package for 7.1 on almost any windows machine, even an XP desktop.

If you wanted to go to 7.1 you'd need a whole new SMP server because SMP 7.0 only runs on Windows Server 2003 and SMP 7.1 only runs on Windows Server 2008 R2; you might as well wait for 7.5 due out end Dec/early Jan.

• 8.  RE: Inventory Solution and Pack are installed, but not configured properly.

Posted Nov 06, 2012 01:51 PM

Ok, I will continue on with 7.0.

• 9.  RE: Inventory Solution and Pack are installed, but not configured properly.

Posted Nov 06, 2012 02:30 PM

I ran the command below with altiris_inventorysolution_7_0_sp2_mr4_x86.msi.  It installed to D:\Program Files\Altiris\Inventory

/msiexec i [msiname.msi] SKIPAIM=1

However, when I start the SIM, I don't see it (or any of the other required components) listed under the installed programs list.

Btw, something must have occured during an upgrade of the SIM.  The .MSI files were under the following (redundant) path:

D:\Program Files\Altiris\Symantec Installation Manager\Symantec Installation Manager\Installs\Altiris

• 10.  RE: Inventory Solution and Pack are installed, but not configured properly.

Posted Nov 06, 2012 03:44 PM

Ok, by running the install via the SIM, they all show up now.  However, I still have the issue that the SIM is saying they are installed, but not properly configured.  I see the following HTTP errors in the event viewer.  it is trying to get to our server by acpstm.domain name.com/ ....

On my workstation, I can get to the URL, but I get prompted for credentials.  If I take out the domain name.com, it works fine.

Log File Name: D:\Program Files\Altiris\Notification Server\Logs\SIM 2012-11-06 13-45-58\a.log
    Priority: 2
    Date: 11/6/2012 1:51:35 PM
    Tick Count: 357252703
    Host Name: ACPSTM
    Process: SymantecInstallationManager (10776)
    Thread ID: 37
    Module: SymantecInstallationManager.exe
    Source: Symantec.Installation.PerformInstall.InstallProducts
    Description: Cannot install Altiris Network Discovery SP4 (7.0.7416) (product install GUID 50f924cb-23a8-4ae3-90e3-645d13efdefa) because it depends on a product that failed to install or was skipped (product install GUID 0e400789-8195-4fad-9f44-13b4f6311a3f).

• 11.  RE: Inventory Solution and Pack are installed, but not configured properly.

Posted Nov 06, 2012 06:24 PM

You can open the product listin xml and see what product GUID 0e400789-8195-4fad-9f44-13b4f6311a3f is. Thinking about it, that will show you which msi['s] is for which solution.

I'd be tempted to try and uninstall and reinstall SIM itself.

• 12.  RE: Inventory Solution and Pack are installed, but not configured properly.

Posted Nov 07, 2012 02:33 PM

Here is the error I am getting when I run the reconfigure:

failed: HTTP Request Failed: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. (-2147014835)