EMEA Data Loss Prevention User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Data Loss Prevention 11.5 and Oracle 11.2.0.2 upgrade

Posted Feb 01, 2012 05:03 AM

So 11.5 has been released and i want to upgrade.

The no problems:

We have DLP 11.1.2 with Oracle 11.2.0.1 with latest CPUs from Symantec.
    The documentation clearly states that you need version 11.2.0.2 of Oracle before upgrading to 11.5 of DLP.

The actual problem:

I've looked through docs, forums, kbs with no result of how Symantec recommends me to upgrade oracle. The only guide is fron 10g to 11g and i suspect there are steps uneccesary to perform for this minor upgrade.

There are also newly released CPU for 11.2.0.2 but i guess these are only for that release and not used to upgrade from 11.2.0.1?

Does anybody have a documentation on how this is done correctly? Symantec has old me at an earlier time NOT to use the guides provided by oracle them selves because they do not account for the DLP part.

• 2.  RE: Data Loss Prevention 11.5 and Oracle 11.2.0.2 upgrade

Posted Feb 01, 2012 10:28 AM

There "should" be an updated 11.5 set of guides that will include the upgrade guide for Oracle.  The first place I would look is on file connect, and if it's not there, check with your Symantec representative to obtain the documents.  

• 3.  RE: Data Loss Prevention 11.5 and Oracle 11.2.0.2 upgrade
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 01, 2012 03:39 PM

I just looked in the 11g Upgrade guide included in 11.5 documentation and it does mention Oracle 11.2.0.2 upgrade on Page 24.  I would recommend following the directions and pulling down the 11.2.0.2 Oracle Installation/Upgrade Tools from file connect.

• 4.  RE: Data Loss Prevention 11.5 and Oracle 11.2.0.2 upgrade

Posted Feb 02, 2012 03:45 AM

Thanks for the answers!

I allready have the documentation for 11.5 from fileconnect.

It does mention it but still the guide is for upgrading 10g to 11g. Do i need to do all the steps even if this is a "minor" realease? Database upgrade Assistant, Network Configuration Assistant aso.?

• 5.  RE: Data Loss Prevention 11.5 and Oracle 11.2.0.2 upgrade

Posted Feb 02, 2012 04:28 AM

I had an old vmware image with the old version on place so thought id give it a go.

Ran steps from page 28-32 in the Symantec_DLP_Oracle_11g_Installation_Upgrade_Guide.pdf from the 11.5 docs zip.

At first i stopped after the upgrade process and noting worked. Did the Network Configuration Assistant part. Nothing worked. And finally did the Database Upgrade Assistant part and it started to work again. Did the final steps including applying the CPU as a final step.

So you were right but still a hassle in my opinion for a minor upgrade and not very well documented that THIS is what you have to do even if youre on 11.2.0.1 or below in 11g.

Well now all is well so no more complaints! ;)

Thanks a lot guys!