Michigan Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Software Updates tab blank after patch installs on system

Posted Dec 19, 2011 09:30 AM
      |   view attached

We are in the process of migrating systems from CMS 6.xx to 7.1 and I am running into an issue with listing patches on systems. All of the clients I have rolled out thus far show the Software Updates tab on the client blank once patches are installed byt he agent. I have ticked all of the boxes, including the "failed" and "installed" options but still nothing shows up. Is this a "bug" or did I miss some sort of confguration on the client side that shoudl keep the list of patches in this windows even after they have successfully installed?

• 2.  RE: Software Updates tab blank after patch installs on system

Posted Dec 19, 2011 10:10 AM

I am seeing this also since the upgrade to 7.1 SP2 from SP1

• 3.  RE: Software Updates tab blank after patch installs on system
    Best Answer

Broadcom Partner
    Posted Dec 19, 2011 11:05 AM

Hi, sdubey

Hi, JJV

This is by design!!

Please read the following KB: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH147912

Hope this answers the question

Network23

• 4.  RE: Software Updates tab blank after patch installs on system

Posted Dec 19, 2011 11:57 AM

In a side note, can you point me to an explination of how the server knows what patches get applied to what systems? Specifically I am seeing updates, mostly for Office 2010 that Windows Update says are missing from MS11-089 but Altiris claims to have successfully installed hte patch. So who should I believe?

• 5.  RE: Software Updates tab blank after patch installs on system

Broadcom Partner
    Posted Dec 19, 2011 01:21 PM

For patch management Version 6.0 - 7.1 without SP1 the following is true: The Inventory Rule Agent determines which Patches are missing. See the following KB: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO2123
    to get an idea how this works.

For Patch Management Version 7.1 SP1 and above the Process changes and the Windows System Assessment Scan (executable) is used to determine which Patches are missing: As far as i know there is no detailed Documentation available on the KB that describes the Process.

Network23

• 6.  RE: Software Updates tab blank after patch installs on system

Posted Dec 19, 2011 03:24 PM

Ah thank you, was worred something was broken

• 7.  RE: Software Updates tab blank after patch installs on system

Posted Dec 22, 2011 11:41 AM

Still it would be good if they could add a link in the Agent to the local CSV file which now holds the data.

“%ALTIRIS_AGENT_INSTALL_FOLDER%\Agents\PatchMgmtAgent\InstallLog.csv

• 8.  RE: Software Updates tab blank after patch installs on system

Posted Dec 30, 2011 09:40 AM

I'm testing out PM 7.1SP1 on five servers and I do not see this CSV file on any of my clients. How can I tell of the system installed these patches or if they were already installed?

“%ALTIRIS_AGENT_INSTALL_FOLDER%\Agents\PatchMgmtAgent\InstallLog.csv

• 9.  RE: Software Updates tab blank after patch installs on system

Posted Dec 30, 2011 09:50 AM

I found that I must have had maintance windows set up because when I slected to "Override Maintenance Windows settings" the patches installed and the .CSV file was visible.