Michigan Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Installing Software packages to end users

Posted Jul 15, 2009 12:07 PM
    I am trying to create software packages for different pieces of software that require the cd for the program to run at the end user level. Is there a way to bundle or build a software package, or deliver the software to the computer as a complete package?

• 2.  RE: Installing Software packages to end users

Posted Jul 15, 2009 12:44 PM
    I'm not sure I understand your question... but if you capture a per-user install with SVS/SWV it should correctly put the files in the User-specific areas of the File System and Registry (instead of System) so that they work correctly for the end user. If there are multiple pieces that you want to build into the same VSP, it is perfectly possible to do so.

• 3.  RE: Installing Software packages to end users

Posted Jul 15, 2009 12:53 PM
    I am rewording my question.
    I can capture an install for some software bundles with no problem, but when you try to use certain features from the software it asks for the cd. Looking at the cd, it has a bunch of pdfs and thing of that nature that the program calls for. I would somehow like to make an image of the cd along with the svs install and deploy it out to multiple machines in a timely an efficient manner. Hope this clarifies my dilemma a little better.

• 4.  RE: Installing Software packages to end users

Posted Jul 15, 2009 12:53 PM
    OH, sorry, for some reason I thought this had to do with SVS, not deploying software through Deployment Solution. I know you can run Deployment Solutions tasks within jobs as specific users. However, if we need a specific job to run for every user that logs into a computer, we use Software Delivery Solution in NS. Is that even what your question is about??

• 5.  RE: Installing Software packages to end users

Posted Jul 15, 2009 12:56 PM
    Hmm, well you could copy the contents of the CD into the VSP, but will the software allow you to change the source it looks to for the content?

• 6.  RE: Installing Software packages to end users

Posted Jul 15, 2009 01:51 PM
    Now this depends on how the software was packaged, whether or not it supports scripting or transform files, etc.

In some cases (i.e. Microsoft Office), you can do a complete or total install.  This will typically install all options at the beginning instead of upon first use.  If the software supports this, in most cases it will also support a transform file (MST) to allow for this and other options to be scripted in.

Ultimately, it depends on how thorough (or lazy) the original programmer was when they wrote the installation package.

And I agree with George, if you can utilize SVS layers, it can make software distribution / maintenance a whole lot easier.  A word of caution though... TEST TEST TEST.  If you go this route, test it multiple times and include others in your testing.  What works great for you, may not work so great for an end user whom uses it a lot different than you do.

I can't speak much for NS software deployment.  That is the next thing on my list of items to do when I have some time.