Michigan Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Software Policy Display Name Problem

Posted Jul 14, 2014 11:07 AM

Since the upgrade to 7.5 SP1 multiple problems have arose, but this is the first one I've found with Software Management. Has anyone else noticed that when they enter a unique name in the 'Display Name' field under the 'Policy Settings' tab within the policy that the unique name is not displayed like it should be under the agent once the policy is targeting the endpoint?

Screenshots for all to see!

• 2.  RE: Software Policy Display Name Problem

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 14, 2014 02:09 PM

Hi!

1. About MD Policy name and name their name on client side:

• Because agent shows delivered policies, therefore it shows main policy name in "Software Delivery" tab of SMA.

For example:

I have a Managed Delivery policy, where a few of different software installations are set and I will set name for this delivery policy, like "Maintenance of old and new Software".

2. About "Display Name":

• This name will be shown in pop-up message in case if you have enabled "Promt user when this policy is available" option in "Schedule" section of Managed Delivery policy.

3. About "Display Description":

• This description will be shown in left side of "Software Delivery" tab of SMA on client side.
    • Also you can double-click on delivered policy in SMA "Software Delivery" tab and see there description as well.

Agree that it isn't properly described in "Policy Settings" tab of Managed Delivery policy, where "Display Name" will be shown and customers will think that this specified display name will be shown in SMA "Software Delivery" tab but in real life, it will be shown in pop-up message of SMA.

You can open "Policy Settings" tab of Managed Delivery policy on SMP Console and click F1 to see help.

Thanks,

IP.

• 3.  RE: Software Policy Display Name Problem

Posted Jul 14, 2014 02:51 PM

Igor,

I don't think you understand what the problem really is. Before SP1......the name you put in the 'Display Name' field was the policy name shown within the Symantec Management Agent no matter what you named the policy. I viewed this as kind of a friendly naming feature. So why did SP1 remove this?

I don't use pop-up message functionality within my software delivery policies.

• 4.  RE: Software Policy Display Name Problem

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 14, 2014 04:39 PM

Ray, I understood a problem and I've described how it works now in 7.5 SP1. For now I see this display name only in pop-up message

DisplayName.jpg

I've checked it by myself now and I see that in 7.1 SP2 MP1 it works as you said -> Display name is shown in SWD tab of SMA correctly in 7.1 but it doesn't do the same in 7.5 SP1.

• 5.  RE: Software Policy Display Name Problem

Posted Jul 14, 2014 04:44 PM
    Why do you keep mentioning "pop-up messages"? Forget about any 7.1 version. 7.5 PRE-SP1 allowed for me to specify a friendly display name as the name of my policy when viewed under the policy list in the SMA despite what I named the policy within the console. POST-SP1 I've lost this functionality. I'd like it back. How come this is so hard to understand and why has SP1 been a nightmare?

• 6.  RE: Software Policy Display Name Problem

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 15, 2014 04:26 AM

Please read correctly what I've wrote in previous comment, since AFAIR you're saying it over and over again...

I just said that in 7.5 SP1 it really works incorrectly now and it doesn't show 'display name' in swd tab of Agent, but only in pop-up message it shows 'display name', athough in 7.1 it works correctly and shows 'display name' in swd tab of agent...

For now I don't have an information, why this functionality 'display name' of policy works incorrectly in 7.5 SP1...

• 7.  RE: Software Policy Display Name Problem

Posted Sep 08, 2014 09:52 AM

I am also interested in a solution to this problem. Any news?

• 8.  RE: Software Policy Display Name Problem

Posted Sep 19, 2014 07:15 AM

Hello

I have the same issue at a customer, any sollution so far?

Symantec, why is this changed?

BR Peter

• 9.  RE: Software Policy Display Name Problem

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 21, 2014 10:17 AM

Hi all!

As far as I know, this issue will be fixed in next 7.5 SP1 HF5 release.

Thanks,

IP.

• 10.  RE: Software Policy Display Name Problem

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 06, 2015 09:26 AM