Chicago (Midwest) Data Loss Prevention User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Vontu Network Discover

Posted May 19, 2009 02:27 PM
    Hello to all,

I attended the Midwest DLP User Group Meeting in Chicago last week (05-14-09).  However, there wasn't a lot of discussion about Network Discover.  I was wondering if anyone is actively using this product or plans to implement this product.  We are in the testing phase at the moment, and I would like to know what other users are doing or plan to do.  Please e-mail me or reply here.  Thanks!

Alex Ferone
    Progressive Insurance

***Edited to clarify Network Discover***

• 2.  RE: Vontu Network Discover

Posted Jun 02, 2009 07:25 PM
    Alex,

Your post is a little confusing for your subject and the content do not match. Which product are you asking about?

Network Discover: Allows you to scan data repositories for content (File Servers/Shars, DB, Exchange etc)
    Network Prevent: Integrates with an MTA or Proxy on the network to Monitor/Block Transmission of data over Email or Via the Web

Once you calrify that we can then answer your question.

Ronak Patel
    DLP Product Manager

• 3.  RE: Vontu Network Discover

Posted Jun 12, 2009 02:03 PM

Sorry about the confusion.  I am asking about Network Discover.

• 4.  RE: Vontu Network Discover

Posted Jun 15, 2009 05:05 PM
    Alex,

There are many different use cases for Network Discover. I will review some of the major ones that aour customers do. Keep in mind that each case depends on the type of data you are looking for.

1. Scanning of file servers and Repositories for specific Conetent (PCI, SSN, CCN etc) and making sure that this type of data is stored in the right place or is NOT located in a specific location. ie. There are no CCN in athe Public file Share, if it is move it to a secure location.
    2. Archiving of files older than a specific date. This allow data clean up of files which are not in use. (Last accessed date)
    3. Validating Audits. PCI audit, making sure that CCN or Mag stripe data is not located on file servers etc.

Hopefully this is helpful, the idea is to use Network discover to find specfic data and make sure its not exposed or accesablie by the wrong people.

Ronak Patel
    DLP Product Management