Deployment and Imaging Group

View Only
  • 1.  Deploying a lot of software post image, tips to keep machine from sleeping?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Nov 05, 2018 12:29 PM

Does anyone have creative ways to keep machines from going to sleep during deployment if they're deploying a lot of software post image?  Perhaps script sleep settings at the beginning of the job?  I was building in restarts but that just seems like a bad way to do it since it takes so long for the agent to start up on the delayed start to pick back up on the job list.

Our sleep settings are set via AD, but I could arrange the deployment job so that joing to AD happens at the end.

Thanks for any ideas.

I'm on CMS 8.1 latest RU.  Will jump to 8.5 once a few updates are released for it in the coming months.

• 2.  RE: Deploying a lot of software post image, tips to keep machine from sleeping?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Partner
    Posted Nov 05, 2018 01:52 PM

Hi Sally5432

Are you using a job with tasks to deliver the software or are you using policys?

If you are using tasks you could use a new feature that was introduced with 8.1

Prevent the computer from going into sleep mode while this task runs...

Network23

• 3.  RE: Deploying a lot of software post image, tips to keep machine from sleeping?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Nov 06, 2018 07:58 AM

Thanks @network23.  I had remembered seeing that somewhere but forgot where!  Will give that a go today and mark as solution if it works.  

Sigh, wish this was a job setting.  Tedious to set it for every task, but better than not having it.

• 4.  RE: Deploying a lot of software post image, tips to keep machine from sleeping?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Nov 06, 2018 11:10 AM

worked great - thanks again for the quick reply!

• 5.  RE: Deploying a lot of software post image, tips to keep machine from sleeping?

Posted Nov 07, 2018 03:32 PM

Might be worth an idea, they might implement it!

• 6.  RE: Deploying a lot of software post image, tips to keep machine from sleeping?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Nov 08, 2018 07:05 AM

@alexhedley - thanks for the idea, I submitted it, now pending approval so probably won't show up until approved.

https://www.symantec.com/connect/ideas/option-jobs-keep-machine-awake-while-running

• 7.  RE: Deploying a lot of software post image, tips to keep machine from sleeping?

Posted Nov 08, 2018 07:50 AM

I can see it and a  from me, hopefully others will too!

• 8.  RE: Deploying a lot of software post image, tips to keep machine from sleeping?

Posted Nov 09, 2018 11:07 AM

We haven't started using the "prevent from sleeping" yet, so we still get around this by setting a power scheme task (that effectively stops the PC from sleeping) as the first task that runs after image deployment, then then reset it back to the default power scheme with another task at the end of the deployment.  Works for us.