Deployment and Imaging Group

View Only
  • 1.  GSS 3.x and SQL Express

Posted Oct 14, 2019 01:01 PM

I'm installing 3.x GSS and when i get to the SQL portion it seems my local server as having SQL, pre-pops the name/port and DB name, but when i hit next and specify either to use Windows or SQL it will fail stating its unable to login to the server using either creds.  Its Server 2019 and SQL Express 2017, so curious if anyone has seen this or knows of a workaround.  TLS 1 and up is still enabled, Remote connections are enabled.  Inputing localhost doesnt work. All the components areon the same server.  

• 2.  RE: GSS 3.x and SQL Express

Posted Oct 14, 2019 02:17 PM

I haven't tried those combinations yet but keep in mind that only 2016 server and 2016 SQL are supported as of this time.    Wouldn't supprise me if some tweaking would be needed to get things going.  

https://support.symantec.com/us/en/article.howto111528.html

I'll put it on my board to try out just to see the results but for now I would suggest moving to a supported platform.   If you run into issues in the future you might have to roll back at that time to get assistance and all the time invested in initial set up now will have been lost since it would have to be done again on the new server that was on the supported platforms list. 

Best of luck. 

• 3.  RE: GSS 3.x and SQL Express

Posted Oct 14, 2019 02:30 PM

Appreciate the info. I did see that it wasn't on their supported matrix, but we can't run the older supported OS/SQL express versions in our environment.  It's concerning how that matrix isn't moving much, especially with the faster release cadence with tondays platforms.  I dont ever see the installer even hitting the SQL instance, so i'm wondering if the installer itself is doing some kind of internal check and doesnt even try to do the installer, it it doesnt pass.  I'd accept it not being supported if i could at least get it installed.

thanks again.

• 4.  RE: GSS 3.x and SQL Express

Posted Oct 14, 2019 04:19 PM

With the release history of gss the platform support for server has only updated at every dot release.   So if that is kept up then it wouldn't be until 3.4 before the server support gets updated.     

But as of 3.3 RU3 the installer is a full installer.  Unlike prior RU installers the RU3 can be installed directly on a clean server you don't have to go to 3.3 GA and then upgrade ot RU3.    If you aren't trying the new RU3 installer you might do so.      in the DS 6.x days the Release updates were full installes so maybe that is what is going to happen in the future and if that is the case maybe we can see some server support updates at the RU rather than waiting for a full dot release. 

• 5.  RE: GSS 3.x and SQL Express

Posted Oct 21, 2019 03:17 PM

was able to get it running in a test environment by letting the ghost installer handle the sql express install..not the way I'd want to do it, so i'll now have to see about ripping it out after the install, and re-installing the needed sql version and restoring the DB, etc to see how it hadnles it...Thanks for the info.  

• 6.  RE: GSS 3.x and SQL Express

Posted Oct 22, 2019 11:31 AM

Thats a good idea so make a backup from the SQL express 2014 DB and then uninstall it, install the 2016 express and restore the db.   Interested to see if it will connect or not to the 2016 with the restored db.    Creative proposal do let us know your findings. 

• 7.  RE: GSS 3.x and SQL Express

Posted Nov 18, 2019 02:29 PM

So you can do the backup the DB, remove sql re-install and re-import db and it will work.  I have no idea how this would work for any future GSS update scripts/packages/HF realeases etc. though.    I still cant wrap my head around that the default installer contains sql 2014, and x86 on top of that, and then the final icing on the cake is that its just a basic x86 package with no Serivce Pack 3 , so wayyy out of date.  Curious what the future roadmap for GSS is.