Deployment and Imaging Group

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrading to 8.5 From Server 2008R2

• 1.  Upgrading to 8.5 From Server 2008R2

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 07, 2019 12:15 PM

I'm trying to work through our CMS migration from 8.1 RU7 to 8.5.  We'll be moving to new server(s) because our existing install is on 2008r2 servers.

Restoring the database and running NSUpgradeWizard theoretically seems to get us most of the way there (it seems to give us ability to move patches, tasks, and software items), but it seems like the deployment solution part of the suite is not migrated, is that correct?

I understand images need to be updated for the new version of the client (8.5), but typically we'd restore those images, let the client update, and then re-upload the updated image.  It seems odd to me that TECH251847 doesn't mention that images and copy file resources aren't gathered by the migration wizard/database restore.  I assume Deployment tasks and jobs come over but am not sure.

The ITMS Data Migration PDF has DS migration steps (page 30-36) for standalone migration.

If I'm understanding everything above correctly, since most of our machines are getting swapped over the next few months anyway, I'm now leaning towards not migrating anything and instead starting fresh with new win10 machines going to new NS with plan to shut down old NS after our rollout.

My only complication with that is for the few month overlap where we have old machines on one NS and new machines on new NS where we need ability to image on same VLAN.  Support suggested we could leave NBS services stopped on the server least used until it's needed and then swap back and forth stopping/starting services between the 2 services depending on if we're imaging a new or old machine.  I'm assuming there's no better way to manage 2 iPXE installations on same VLANs?

thanks for any thoughts.

• 2.  RE: Upgrading to 8.5 From Server 2008R2

Posted Jan 07, 2019 12:37 PM

I am in the process of doing the same.

Symantec told me to follow TECH251847.  Are you using this document too?  I seen the reference in your posting.

• 3.  RE: Upgrading to 8.5 From Server 2008R2

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 07, 2019 01:16 PM

@mferfuson4

I was sent that tech article from support, and then was surprised to find out images and file copy resources don't come wtih the migration/db restore.  It makes me wonder what else doesn't come over.  I think perhaps it would be helpful if Symantec updated the article with what doesn't tranfer with the wizard and db restore.  Maybe I am misunderstanding though.

• 4.  RE: Upgrading to 8.5 From Server 2008R2

Posted Jan 07, 2019 01:49 PM

Were in the same boat as well.

I am looking at doing something similar, standing up a new 8.5 environment and then starting fresh with the database and maybe only replicate some information if at all needed.  Then migrate all SS over, once they have been migrated, start moving clients over and go from there.

We can't run both systems side by side as our school locations are firewalled to only allow access to their local site server and smp.

• 5.  RE: Upgrading to 8.5 From Server 2008R2

Posted Jan 07, 2019 01:51 PM

I am starting the process to map this out myself.  Our plan is to buld a new environment from scratch.  Export the software items we want to keep so we start clean.  Setup deployment solution so that anything getting imaged goes directly to the 8.5 environment.  Then have the old NS point the old clients at the new NS.  That is an over simplification of it of course.  I will be watching this thread to see how it goes for you guys.

• 6.  RE: Upgrading to 8.5 From Server 2008R2

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 07, 2019 02:07 PM

@bigred - I'm sure it'll be obvious once you respond, but what's SS stand for?

• 7.  RE: Upgrading to 8.5 From Server 2008R2

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 08, 2019 07:56 AM

In case anyone has seen them @telefragger has a walkthrough of 8.5 install on youtube

Also, in the sessions section on the Chicago Endpoint Management Workshop there's some good 8.5 videos too.

• 8.  RE: Upgrading to 8.5 From Server 2008R2

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 09, 2019 09:32 AM

What I've learned so far:

If you're hosting SQL on box (not recommended, but out install base is <1000 and we have plenty of resources to throw at the VM), you need to set up SQL server management studio and add the application identity user under servername - security - logins (server roles we set were public and sysadmin).  Until I did this, SIM couldn't continue when selecting win authenticatoin for SQL server.

Also, in SQL, when you go to set up maintenance plans, I was getting Agent XP error.  I found this symantec blog with query below to allow the maintentance plan wizard to run.

SQL Query:

sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1;
    GO
    RECONFIGURE;
    GO
    sp_configure 'Agent XPs', 1;
    GO
    RECONFIGURE
    GO

I'm going to start a new thread asking about the maintenance plans to see if this is still the recommendation from Symantec.

• 9.  RE: Upgrading to 8.5 From Server 2008R2

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 10, 2019 08:45 AM

TIL (or remembered) if you are only licensed for CMS and want to be able to retire and free up licenses per best practices, you need to use SIM and install Symantec CMDB solution separately.

More info in this old thread for anyone interested.

Symantec's howto for retiring (which doesn't make much sense without asset mgmt or the CMDB solution installed).  Perhaps this should be documented somewhere as part of the CMS install or part of the best practices for retirement doc.

• 10.  RE: Upgrading to 8.5 From Server 2008R2

Posted Mar 08, 2019 01:56 PM

Did anyone have issues getting all the patch packages copied over?  I'm getting errors on the export in NSUpgradeWizard.

• 11.  RE: Upgrading to 8.5 From Server 2008R2

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Mar 08, 2019 01:59 PM

sorry @mmathews we're starting fresh with patches on our new box.