Philadelphia Security User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Windows 8 and NS 6.0

Posted Nov 01, 2012 04:00 PM

Hi folks,

I know the official Symantec party line is that Windows 8 is not supported on Altiris NS 6.0, nor will it ever be. However, I have installed it on several VMs so far, and as far as I can tell, it works just fine. Of course Patch Management won’t work, because PMIMPORT won’t be grabbing patches for Windows 8 Clients. And, I am not using Task Server, so I can’t vouch for that feature. I believe I’ve read that Task Server in v7.0 doesn’t work correctly with Windows 8 clients, so I would assume that v6.0 has similar issues. But as far as Software Delivery, Sequential Software Delivery, App Monitoring/Metering, Bandwidth Throttling, Inventory Agent… all of these subagents and features appear to be working as they should. And of course, there are no built-in “All Windows 8 computers”, but collections like that are easily created.

So, has anyone else attempted to put the NS 6 Agent on a Windows 8 machine? More specifically, can anyone tell me what really DOES NOT work in the Altiris Agent 6.0 on Windows 8? I’m getting pressure from above to support these clients, prior to our migration to Microsoft’s competitor product in the near future. ;)

Thanks for any input you can provide!

• 2.  RE: Windows 8 and NS 6.0

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 10, 2012 01:33 PM

It sounds like an interesting task, that given your pressing needs, you may be in the best position to answer.

Have you made head ways with this since you posted on the forum (given it's been about 6 weeks!)?