ITMS Administrator Group

View Only
  • 1.  Automatically "Delete unused Software Update Packages" problem disabling staged bulletins

Posted Jan 26, 2018 02:12 AM

Hi,

I am trying to automate the process described in the article "Delete unused Software Update Packages and clean-up disk space".

First I am disabling patch policies which are not used anymore. I have started with all bulletins which are superseeded as for sure they are not needed anymore. I keep the disabled policies for a couple of days until I delete them. And then the "Check Software Update Package Integrity Job " should do the job to clean-up the packages on the disk. However, this part was not working and I figured out that the bulletins still show "Disable" in the Report "Software Bulletin Details".

So the "Disable Policy Item Component" which I use in the workflow does not do the same thing as the "Disable" function available in the report. So I started to research what other function would be available and the only thing I found was the article here:

https://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/programatically-disable-staged-bulletins

But running the profiler myself it seems there are other store procedured called when using the action from the menu. So I was wondering if there are other options available.

Maybe it is possible to call the "Menu action Disable" somehow? Or is there any function in the Patch Management webservice available which I missed? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Stefan

• 2.  RE: Automatically "Delete unused Software Update Packages" problem disabling staged bulletins
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 02, 2018 08:42 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Stefan,

In order to disable Bulletin you can use attached script, as following:

1. Unzip DisableBulletin.zip and copy contents to C:\Program Files\Altiris\Notification Server\Bin.

NB! Make Sure to merge NSCRIPT.NRF and NSCRIPT.EXE.CONFIG to the existing ones, if you already have them modified.

2. Run C:\Program Files\Altiris\Notification Server\Bin\NSCRIPT.EXE DisableBulletin.cs <bulletin_guid>

Note that the script is working on Patch Management Solution Versions up to 8.1.*

Attachment(s)

zip
    DisableBulletin.zip   1 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Automatically "Delete unused Software Update Packages" problem disabling staged bulletins

Posted Apr 03, 2018 04:54 AM

Will this be added to the ASDK?

• 4.  RE: Automatically "Delete unused Software Update Packages" problem disabling staged bulletins

Posted Apr 04, 2018 03:56 PM

@Sergei: The script works fine. Thank you.

I agree with Alex this would be good if it would be included in the ASDK in a future release.

• 5.  RE: Automatically "Delete unused Software Update Packages" problem disabling staged bulletins

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 06, 2018 08:24 AM

Yes, we consider adding this to the next major release.

• 6.  RE: Automatically "Delete unused Software Update Packages" problem disabling staged bulletins

Posted Apr 06, 2018 11:48 AM
    This is great news Sergei, looking forward to seeing it in the Release Notes

• 7.  RE: Automatically "Delete unused Software Update Packages" problem disabling staged bulletins

Posted Apr 06, 2018 12:14 PM

Where can I get the script referenced in this solution?  It says it is attached but I'm not seeing any files attached to this thread.  

• 8.  RE: Automatically "Delete unused Software Update Packages" problem disabling staged bulletins

Posted Apr 09, 2018 04:31 AM

We are doing it that way:

$ReportsMS = New-WebServiceProxy -Uri "http://altiris/Altiris/ASDK.NS/ReportManagementService.asmx" -UseDefaultCredential
    $ConsoleMS = New-WebServiceProxy -Uri "http://altiris/Altiris/NS/console.asmx" -UseDefaultCredential

$Bulletins = $ReportsMS.RunReport("9e5b8923-b02b-4702-9b44-4404fa8b6e43").table | Where-Object { $_.Available_x0020_Packages -gt 0 -and $_.Policies -eq 0 -and $_.Downloaded -eq "Yes" }

ForEach($Bulletin in $Bulletins) {
        $ConsoleMS.ItemCallback($Bulletin._ResourceGuid, "ItemAction:e6e01da7-1f2e-4716-99e0-2738c214d458:")
    }

• 9.  RE: Automatically "Delete unused Software Update Packages" problem disabling staged bulletins

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 11, 2018 01:32 PM

Hi Joe,

I see it attached to Sergej's post from the 2nd of April itself (last line of the post).