Symantec Encryption Product Community

View Only
  • 1.  Manually create multiple internal users

Posted May 19, 2013 01:47 AM

To manually create internal users without keys

On the PGP Universal Server

1 Go To Consumers, then users
    2 Click Add Internal Users.
    The Import Internal Users dialog box appears.
    3 Click Manual Creation. The Create Internal Users dialog box appears.
    4 Enter user information. (only Email address is also enough)
    5 Click Add.

The above procedur allows only to add one user at a time.

Question: How can we add multiple users in one go?

• 2.  RE: Manually create multiple internal users

Posted May 20, 2013 01:57 PM

That all depends on whether you wish to add legimate users of the system or just dummy accounts. Can you give me the use case behind what it is that you are trying to do and maybe I can assist?

Thanks,

Ben

• 3.  RE: Manually create multiple internal users

Posted May 21, 2013 05:04 AM

+1 what Ben said, what is the reason for creating users without keys?  Sort of like creating a bike without wheels isn't it? :)

• 4.  RE: Manually create multiple internal users

Posted May 21, 2013 06:22 AM

When you install MSI installer with Auto-Detect policy, the group membership is determined with email addresses. The key will be generated, once the user has enroled. Therefore, if we have email addresses or user names already added in a group, then the policy will be automatically applied.

I have different groups, with different policies.

If you simply install the package, the clients will report to "Everyone" group with default policy. Having the users in a group before installation will automatically appliy the desired policy.

• 5.  RE: Manually create multiple internal users
    Best Answer

Posted May 21, 2013 11:53 AM

Got the solution!

• 6.  RE: Manually create multiple internal users
    Best Answer

Posted May 21, 2013 11:54 AM

Got the solution!

2  ways to add multiple users to a group:

1.     Add multiple users by AD group, if there is Directory Synchronization. This allows you to sort consumers into the group by matching LDAP directory values.

2.     By User Defined Dictionary.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH149798

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH148965

• 7.  RE: Manually create multiple internal users

Posted May 22, 2013 06:23 PM

there you go! you found your solution. I love these  sorts of threads ;)

• 8.  RE: Manually create multiple internal users

Posted May 22, 2013 06:27 PM

oh by the way, the above procedure that you described an marked as solution. Still involves creating keys. It's part of the whole concept of using PGP, is using an encryption key as well. Even if you are just using WDE, Desktop still generates a key.

• 9.  RE: Manually create multiple internal users

Posted May 23, 2013 03:32 AM

Dear Ben,

When the clients enrol the keys are automatically created by the Universal server.

All I needed was, when a perticular client/clients is/are enroled, they directly report to the group intended, instead of the "everyone" group.

If you have different Dictionaries with lists of different users, then you can add the dictionatries in the group  you want before client installtion.

For eg, there's a group that has auto disk encryption policy and another group with PGPZIP & Virtual disk policy. Assuming that you want perticular clients to have disk encryption only and you want certain clients to be able to make virtual disks, you can sort the clients before hand by User Defined Dictionary.

My freind, is it not possible that one can find one's own solution? If the post I marked is not the solution to my issue, then PLEASE brother assist me with a better solution. 

• 10.  RE: Manually create multiple internal users

Posted May 24, 2013 06:30 PM

No the comment marked as the solutin is the solution the easiset solution is to group the user based on Directory Synchronization and using LDAP matching rules or else dictonary entries. I was just commenting that I was glad that you found the solution to your problem.