Symantec Encryption Product Community

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1.4013.4013 (Mac) prompting user to update defs upon login.

Posted Aug 12, 2014 09:06 AM

In all previous versions of Symantec Endpoint Protection, SEP updated itself upon user login silently and without user interaction.  Since we upgraded to version 12.1.4013.4013, SEP now prompts the user to check for updates.  My SEP admin tells me everything is configured the same as with previous versions on the SEPM server end of things.

Has anyone else encountered this?  And if so, how did you configure SEP to update silently?  

Our SEP admin wants to push out this new version and I am resisting until we can enable silent updates for users.

Bob Reed
    AARP

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1.4013.4013 (Mac) prompting user to update defs upon login.

Posted Aug 12, 2014 09:08 AM

Are the defs out of date? Or just the prompt is coming up? Do you have a screenshot?

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1.4013.4013 (Mac) prompting user to update defs upon login.

Posted Aug 12, 2014 09:20 AM

No, the prompt is coming up at every login - whether or not the defs or software are out of date.  But if the user clicks the button to check for updates, SEP will then download and install the updated defs properly.

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1.4013.4013 (Mac) prompting user to update defs upon login.

Posted Aug 12, 2014 11:08 AM

Can you check if these are set right?

Endpoint Protection shows definitions out of date at 30 days even when configured to notify after more than 30 days

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH186964

There are two types of notifications that can be configured via the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM): Windows Security Center (WSC) and SEP client notifications.

The SEPM allows for a maximum of 99 days before the SEP client will notify about out of date definitions, but the maximum time before a WSC notification is 30 days. When determining when to notify on out of date definitions, the SEP client will use the lower of these two time windows.