Symantec Encryption Product Community

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 11.0.7101 on Mac - CPU utilization issue...

Posted Apr 10, 2012 09:34 AM

We have about 200 Macs (OS X 10.6.8, all bound to Active Directory) that run Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.7101 and managed by a SEPM server.  All systems are configured at the server to scan on Thursday evenings.  

On Friday mornings, we have several clients complaining of very slow performance on their systems.  When we look at their systems to diagnose the problem, we see two processes with very high CPU usage.  They are "configd" and "ScanNotification".  Each process runs at about 40-50% of CPU time.  I found this support document here on the Symantec site describing the problem:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH158110

It clearly indicates that the problem was resolved in the 11.0.7 client, but that isn't true.

I have run the Symantec uninstaller on these systems to completely uninstall the product (thinking that some vestige of the earlier SEP client might have remained on the system), then reinstalled 11.0.7101.  No change.

Does anyone know:

1. Why this is happening?

2. Why does it only affect some users?

3. Is there a way to resolve this issue so we can continue to use the SEP product on our Macs?

Bob Reed
    AARP

• 2.  RE: SEP 11.0.7101 on Mac - CPU utilization issue...

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 10, 2012 09:59 AM

• 3.  RE: SEP 11.0.7101 on Mac - CPU utilization issue...

Posted Apr 10, 2012 10:13 AM

Great advice Mithun.

I will try that on the next affected system I encounter.

Bob