South Africa Security and Compliance User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Two scenario's for DCS:SA 1) Failover server 2) Migrate to SQL server instance

Posted Aug 25, 2015 05:59 AM

We have the following 2 scenario:

1) DCS: SA installed ver 6.5 . SQL instance installed.

I now want to add a failover DCS:SA server . How to do that? Just start the install and then point to the DB instance?

How do I tell agents already installed to use the failover server when the primary is down? How do I do this?

2) DCS: SA installed with SQL express (standalone).

Is it possible to migrate from SQL express to SQL instance to SQL server? How do I do this?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

• 2.  RE: Two scenario's for DCS:SA 1) Failover server 2) Migrate to SQL server instance

Posted Aug 25, 2015 02:17 PM

Oh, for an for SQL express to Prod SQL, see these.  They are older docs, but still relevant.

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH116256.html

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH116309.html

• 3.  RE: Two scenario's for DCS:SA 1) Failover server 2) Migrate to SQL server instance
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 25, 2015 04:47 PM

To get another manager set up, you need the server.xml and the certificate (.ssl) files from the current manager.  Then, run a Tomcat-only installation of the manager, so it does not try and create another database.  The installer will ask you for the server.xml file and certificate files. It will also ask you for the xml files for the connection to the UMC and other data center things, which you can leave blank if you are not using them.

To push out new mangement server list, use the Diagnostic Detection policies (win an unix), and select "Advanced Agent Settings" and edit the section called "Modify the management server listused by the agent".  Then, apply that policy to the agents.

There is a failover built into the agents, where if they cannot connect to the first management server in the list they will move onto the next one.  It will attempt to fail back to the first one on the list every 60 min.

Note that when you add more servers, any bulk log files or Collect Agent Info's will be sent to the manager they are currently connected to, so if you cannot find a GAI or logs, you will have to check all your managers.

• 4.  RE: Two scenario's for DCS:SA 1) Failover server 2) Migrate to SQL server instance

Posted Aug 26, 2015 01:54 AM

@Chuck, is there anything newer for the SQL Express 2012 edition to Prod SQL....

Anyone from Symantec experts on this.....

• 5.  RE: Two scenario's for DCS:SA 1) Failover server 2) Migrate to SQL server instance

Posted Aug 26, 2015 06:17 AM

SQL has not changed.  Imagine if it did . . . What would happen?  

Test my advice in a pre-prod environment and I think you will see that the articles I shared will work.

• 6.  RE: Two scenario's for DCS:SA 1) Failover server 2) Migrate to SQL server instance

Posted Aug 26, 2015 08:37 AM

Will test in lab environment - why doesnt Symantec make it easier..