San Francisco Bay Area Endpoint Management User Group

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Has anyone installed Workflow 7.1 on a desktop?

Migration User

Migration UserAug 18, 2011 03:23 PM

• 1.  Has anyone installed Workflow 7.1 on a desktop?

Posted Aug 03, 2011 09:45 AM

I am trying to install workflow designer on my laptop and having issues. The latest one for when I go to install is that IIS app pool does not have permissions

I am adminon my computer so this should not matter. have a ticket opne but rep had never installed workflow 7.1 on a windows 7 home premium 64 machine.

My laptop is not attached to the clients network domain so that seems to be a issue.

one more ticket-

• 2.  RE: Has anyone installed Workflow 7.1 on a desktop?

Posted Aug 03, 2011 11:56 AM

I have Workflow Solution installed on my work machine, a Windows 7 desktop. Don't really have any problems, and I install a build every morning.

One thing you can try is turning UAC completely off, or running the .exe as an administrator (right click, Run As Admin) if you're getting the error on the Server Configuratuion page of the install.

If this concerns the page of the install where you give users permissions to the DB, select another user to add perms for, and configure the database for that user after the install.

• 3.  RE: Has anyone installed Workflow 7.1 on a desktop?

Posted Aug 03, 2011 01:51 PM

uninstall previous verison of workflow designer

download Symantec.workflow.setup from SMP 7.1SP1a server

right click and run as administrator

New Install following instructions from Workflow 7.1 MP1 installtion and Configuration Guide pg26

click Show Advanced Settings during Installation

click Workflow Server and Workflow Designer

Install location - local

server configuration

default web site

-PC Name

SMP server credentials - enter all information for my SMP test server - test connection and success

Workflow Persistence

---Based on exchange

SymQ QRM Settings

-No Setup

System Check - Success on all checks

Maintenance:
        Mode: New Install
        Advanced Settings

Server Roles:
        Workflow Server
        Workflow Designer

Install Location:
        Installation Folder: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Workflow\
        Start Menu Folder: Symantec

Server Configuration:
        Web Site: Default Web Site
        Base URL: Owner-PC
        Run Task Tray Application When Installation Completes

Workflow Designer Tasks:
        Workflow Designer Desktop Shortcut

SMP Server Credentials:
        SMP: 123456789 (ip of server)  User: UserId  Password: *****

Workflow Persistence:
        Based on Exchange

SymQ ORM:
        skipped

got a firewall error - clicked ok

and still got the following error at enableing SMP log writer

Installing Workflow Server..
    Checking Server Extensions service running
    Setting local machine information
    Do not process timeouts and escalations
    Checking Server Extensions service running
    Copying Workflow Server installer..
    Workflow Server role installed.
    Workflow SymQ Setup completed
    Enabling SMP Log Writer..
    System.Exception: Error setting permissions for user 'IIS APPPOOL\Classic .NET AppPool' to 'C:\Program Files\Symantec\Workflow\Shared' ---> System.Security.Principal.IdentityNotMappedException: Some or all identity references could not be translated.
       at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(IdentityReferenceCollection sourceAccounts, Type targetType, Boolean forceSuccess)
       at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(Type targetType)
       at System.Security.AccessControl.CommonObjectSecurity.ModifyAccess(AccessControlModification modification, AccessRule rule, Boolean& modified)
       at System.Security.AccessControl.CommonObjectSecurity.AddAccessRule(AccessRule rule)
       at Symantec.Workflow.Installer.Core.UserAccessHelper.SetFolderPermissions(String path, String userName, FileSystemRights permisssions) in c:\build\projects\WF71MR2\install\installers\Installer.Core\Utilities\UserAccessHelper.cs:line 54
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Symantec.Workflow.Installer.Core.UserAccessHelper.SetFolderPermissions(String path, String userName, FileSystemRights permisssions) in c:\build\projects\WF71MR2\install\installers\Installer.Core\Utilities\UserAccessHelper.cs:line 62
       at Symantec.Workflow.Installer.ServerRoles.WorkflowServerRole.Run() in c:\build\projects\WF71MR2\install\installers\InstallerManager\ServerRoles\WorkflowServerRole.cs:line 126
       at Symantec.Workflow.Installer.InstallerManager.Run() in c:\build\projects\WF71MR2\install\installers\InstallerManager\InstallerManager.cs:line 51

Installation Failed.

• 4.  RE: Has anyone installed Workflow 7.1 on a desktop?

Posted Aug 03, 2011 01:53 PM

I went and installed IIS7 to see if i could figure out what is happening IIS APPPOOL is not even shown in the IIS management pane

Also tried just doing the click method and giving the install permissions

• 5.  RE: Has anyone installed Workflow 7.1 on a desktop?

Posted Aug 11, 2011 01:52 PM

ok got a quick call from support rep that he is working on it and should have data in a day or too

• 6.  RE: Has anyone installed Workflow 7.1 on a desktop?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 11, 2011 04:09 PM

The IIS APPPOOL\ accounts are slightly special. Have you tried running Application Pool(s) with a different account? 

• 7.  RE: Has anyone installed Workflow 7.1 on a desktop?

Posted Aug 11, 2011 05:16 PM

no this is on my personal laptop that is not joined to the company domain

• 8.  RE: Has anyone installed Workflow 7.1 on a desktop?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 11, 2011 05:49 PM

Just use some normal local account. I have a feeling ServiceDesk installer just doesn't know how to play nice with the APPPOOL\ accounts (yet).

• 9.  RE: Has anyone installed Workflow 7.1 on a desktop?

Posted Aug 16, 2011 12:19 PM

my normal PC-owner account has admin privileges to the computer and I clicked run as admin so it should be good.

Service Desk installer not playing nice with APPPOOL is a understatement

• 10.  RE: Has anyone installed Workflow 7.1 on a desktop?

Posted Aug 18, 2011 03:23 PM

Did you ever find a solution?

• 11.  RE: Has anyone installed Workflow 7.1 on a desktop?

Posted Aug 18, 2011 04:16 PM

I only had to jump through a few more hoops and install a few more components. The original error message you are receiving is due to not all of the IIS components being enabled. I only did IIS6 originally and don't think I included World Wide Web Core or whatever it's called. Check out the link below and look for Rob Moore's comment that includes the screenshot. It has everything listed you need.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/cant-install-workflow-designer-71-windows-7-32-bit

Once I got past that error I was getting another logicbase error and I would get a successful install but I was missing shortcuts and executables. After following the first portion of the Doc from the next link I was able to get a successful install. Basically you need to install Shared.setup, Server.extensions, and Symantec.workflow.serversetup before you get to your normal install. Once you read the doc it will make a lot more sense. 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/installing-servicedesk-workflow-designer7-windows-xp-or-windows-7

This all worked for me so hopefully this at least a little helpful. 

• 12.  RE: Has anyone installed Workflow 7.1 on a desktop?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 25, 2011 12:58 PM

ok so installed IIS features

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb397374%28EXCHG.80%29.aspx

Install the IIS 6.0 Management Compatibility Components in Windows 7 or in Windows Vista from Control Panel

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Programs and Features, and then click Turn Windows features on or off.

2. Open Internet Information Services.

3. Open Web Management Tools.

4. Open IIS 6.0 Management Compatibility.

5. Select the check boxes for IIS 6 Metabase and IIS 6 configuration compatibility and IIS 6 Management Console.

I also checked off the features in the following screen shot from the first link

• 13.  RE: Has anyone installed Workflow 7.1 on a desktop?

Posted Aug 25, 2011 02:20 PM

and its installed! - getting a sever connection error but at least it is installed