Endpoint Management User Group (Osterreich, Schweiz, Deutschland)

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Looking to replace WPS?

• 1.  Looking to replace WPS?

Posted Oct 09, 2014 12:46 AM

Hello all,

For a while now, Flexera's AdminStudio along with its SWV add-on was the main alternative for WPS users to go to if they decided to move away from WPS after it bcame EOL. 

The good news is that now Raynet's RayPack 1.2 now includes SWV support among other things.  The following link will give you its Release Notes:-  https://www.raynet.de/sites/default/files/documents/Release%20Notes%20RayPack%201.2.pdf

The following link gets you to the products actual web site, which is where you can register for a trial version, as well as find out more information about this product, including available webinar dates:- 

https://raypack.raynet.de/#WelcomeToRayPack

Please feel free to PM me or contact Raynet for further details.

SK

• 2.  RE: Looking to replace WPS?

Posted Oct 09, 2014 01:31 PM

Hmmm...I think using a vendor's forum for promoting rival products is terribly bad form. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this thread removed and I for one would support that move.

• 3.  RE: Looking to replace WPS?

Posted Oct 09, 2014 02:59 PM

I understand your concern; however, as Raynet is a Gold Symantec Partner, and is also the company that built Altiris's first Packaging Factory, I believe using this medium to inform the WPS customer base of an alternative to AdminStudio is the right thing to do. 

Raynet also attend Symantec Vision events where we promote our products too. 

Raynet has been created from our 15 years of professional packaging expertise and knowledge.

• 4.  RE: Looking to replace WPS?

Posted Oct 10, 2014 08:43 AM

No spammer agrees with the view that spamming is wrong.

• 5.  RE: Looking to replace WPS?

Posted Oct 10, 2014 10:38 AM

Woa - hang on here... Lets get the facts straight.

Symantec had a product called Wise Package Studio that they acquired with the Altiris purchase. This was the No 2 in the software packaging market at the time, with thousands of customers, a network of people who provided packaging services using it, and partners who helped supply and support this.

However and for whatever reason (which I suspect was mainly because Symantec simply didn't understand where this fitted as it had nothing to do with security) they let development and marketing slip until the product had lost its way in the market. At this point they withdrew from the market completely and pointed customers to Admin Studio. Wise customers and those in the supporting community felt very let down and annoyed as there was now no choice and they had to face costs they had been looking to avoid. 

That a partner who had a significant investment in the Wise product has decided to create their own alternative should be applauded not only as it gives choice but also because it offers the market a way of saving money over the current limited options.

And given Symantec no longer supply or support any software packaging tool I see no reason why they shouldn't raise this in this forum (what rival product are they promoting against exactly?) As a business partner who historically had a Wise customer base finding there is an alternative to Admin Studio and being able to point customers to this is just great.

Keep the posts coming Scott and keep those of us who want an appropriate means of filling to the void left by the sad demise of Wise informed of what you are doing.

• 6.  RE: Looking to replace WPS?

Posted Oct 10, 2014 12:31 PM
    Thanks Steve. This is an exciting time for Raynet, and we are looking forward to every roadmap milestone that RayPack reaches during the next 12 months.

• 7.  RE: Looking to replace WPS?

Posted Oct 10, 2014 02:20 PM

Thank you Scott and appreciate updating us about the new release. 

• 8.  RE: Looking to replace WPS?

Posted Oct 10, 2014 02:22 PM

WPS still has mileage left in it, IMHO.

I mostly use ORCA these days to edit MSIs or create transforms but WPS capture is still useful in a few situations to higlight what is going on.

Still, it is useful to know what alternatives exist to the Flexera Adminstudio overpriced option, and I'm sure that an indication of its price would prove useful, even if its represented as a percentage of the competitor pricing.

• 9.  RE: Looking to replace WPS?

Posted Dec 08, 2014 06:21 AM

Hello,

Is Raypack correclty handling DLLs located in winsxs when creating packages ?

Thanks,

NH

• 10.  RE: Looking to replace WPS?

Posted Dec 08, 2014 07:55 AM

@NH

Asking questions about a non Symantec product in these forums is rather ill-informed of you.

May I recommend that you follow the links in the original posting at the top of this thread, locate Raynet's forums and ask your question there.

• 11.  RE: Looking to replace WPS?

Posted Dec 08, 2014 08:03 AM

EdT,

As this tool seems to help to make packages to SWT or MSI that I distribute with Altiris, I don't see the issue.

In addition old softwares that were doing this disapeared from CMS (I was using rapidpackage and wise express).

Anyway, I'm going to ask the question to them directly...

• 12.  RE: Looking to replace WPS?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 08, 2014 08:34 AM

Hi Nicolas, Ed is simply stating that when it comes to technical question about another vendor's product it's better to use the vendor's own forum.

For example, I have licenses for the Admin Studio packaging product, and if I had a question I'd use their forums rather than these. We're not being awkward, its just if you want an answer, it is best ask it in a room filled with people who actually use the product you're asking about.

• 13.  RE: Looking to replace WPS?

Posted Dec 08, 2014 02:35 PM

Hello Nicholas and everyone,

The best way to obtain answers about Raynet's products is to open a support ticket with them via the following link:  https://raynetgmbh.zendesk.com/anonymous_requests/new 

We also run regular product webinar sessions which you can register to join too. 

Best regards,

SK. 

PS:  I will answer your PM shortly Nicholas.