Endpoint Management User Group (Osterreich, Schweiz, Deutschland)

View Only
  • 1.  What is the 'Package options:' field for?

Posted Feb 12, 2016 01:42 AM

Hello all,

In DS 6.9, there is a Distribute Software task, which has the following two fields: 

'Package options:' & 'Additional command-line switches:'

The documentation explains what the latter field is for, but I have not been able to find any information concerning the 'Package options:' field. 

Does anyone know what the difference is between these two fields? 

Would 'Package options:' be used for say MSI paramters, and 'Additional command-line switches:' used for say the applications config switches like a licensing server, etc? 

SK

• 2.  RE: What is the 'Package options:' field for?
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Feb 12, 2016 03:02 AM

In the 'old and bad' days if you had problems packaging a particular piece of software, you could use snapshot technologies to deliver it. Altiris' answer to this was RapidInstall. Very useful in it's day at delivering a bunch of filesystem and registry changes. I rather like it ;-)

This 'package options' field is where you'd put switches in for your RapidInstall packages. This would default to "-s -nr" if the interface sensed you were delivering a RapidInstall package.

It's hardly used nowadays -I think the product (like Wise) didn't see much in the way of updates so  now it crashes a lot (probably 64-bit issues).

Kind Regards,
    Ian./

• 3.  RE: What is the 'Package options:' field for?

Posted Feb 12, 2016 06:05 AM

As Ian says it was for defining the command line parameters when deploying packages and in particular Rapidinstall packages. Sadly this simple packaging tool, which was really liked by nearly every customer because it was so useful and easy to use was dumped in favour of firstly Wise, which provided a solution for a completely different and narrower set of requirements (albeit it addressed these requirements well), and then by nothing, though the customer needs are still there! Kinda a pity really!

• 4.  RE: What is the 'Package options:' field for?

Posted Feb 12, 2016 06:43 AM

Thanks Ian.  I agree with you and Steve, as RI was good at what it did.  Its good to know that the 'Package options:' field is just for RI as this information will be added to my training material. 

SK.

• 5.  RE: What is the 'Package options:' field for?

Posted Feb 12, 2016 11:12 AM
    I think it might have been for PCTransplant packages too.