Endpoint Management User Group (Osterreich, Schweiz, Deutschland)

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

LinuxPE loads rootfs.gz and then remains at the Ready prompt regardless of what job was run.

• 1.  LinuxPE loads rootfs.gz and then remains at the Ready prompt regardless of what job was run.

Posted Jan 18, 2016 08:18 AM

Hello all,

I am running DS 6.9 SP6 on Windows 2008 R2 Standard in a domain, within a VMWare Workstation 12 environment. 

When a machine is booted to LinuxPE via any job, it remains at the Ready prompt after loading rootfs.gz instead of moving further forwards. 

I cannot even type anything at this prompt. 

LinuxPE.PNG

Any ideas? 

SK

• 2.  RE: LinuxPE loads rootfs.gz and then remains at the Ready prompt regardless of what job was run.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 25, 2016 10:22 AM

Hi Scott,

Can you do Ctrl+Alt+F1 or +F2 to check if the shell is running an available on an alternate console?

This would allow you to check that the Linux PE is fully operational as well as checking the log files / agent status.

• 3.  RE: LinuxPE loads rootfs.gz and then remains at the Ready prompt regardless of what job was run.

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 25, 2016 04:53 PM

Looks to me like it might not be booting into the Linux kernel... which is bad. I take it that this Linux environment works with other hardware?

• 4.  RE: LinuxPE loads rootfs.gz and then remains at the Ready prompt regardless of what job was run.

Posted Jan 26, 2016 03:25 PM

Hello Ludo,

Unfortunately, once its at the ready stage, it does not accept any keyboard actions. 

Scott.

• 5.  RE: LinuxPE loads rootfs.gz and then remains at the Ready prompt regardless of what job was run.

Posted Jan 26, 2016 03:27 PM

Hello Ian,

Unfortunately I only have my VMWare Workstation 12 envronment to play with so cannot test it against other hardware. 

Scott. 

• 6.  RE: LinuxPE loads rootfs.gz and then remains at the Ready prompt regardless of what job was run.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 27, 2016 03:23 AM

Can I suggest you try Virtual Box as an alternative? You should be able to get the virtual environments talking if you use a bridge network.

• 7.  RE: LinuxPE loads rootfs.gz and then remains at the Ready prompt regardless of what job was run.

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Feb 28, 2016 09:19 AM

Did you try opening a case with Symantec Support on this one?

• 8.  RE: LinuxPE loads rootfs.gz and then remains at the Ready prompt regardless of what job was run.

Posted Mar 04, 2016 02:23 PM

I think it has something to either do with my Win7 VM or having the VM on my laptops local HDD, as I have just tried this with a Win8.1 VM located on a USB HDD and LinuxPE works. 

OK, its my Win7 VM as after moving it to the USB HDD LinuxPE still has this problem. 

• 9.  RE: LinuxPE loads rootfs.gz and then remains at the Ready prompt regardless of what job was run.
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 04, 2016 02:42 PM

OK; this is very strange.  If I increase the RAM from 1GB to 1.25GB, LinuxPE works on my Win7 VM. 

If I revert the RAM back to 1GB, LinuxPE fails again. 

I know that DS 6.9 SP6 ships with a different flavour of Linux; however, I didnt expect it to be more memory hungry or memory sensitive than WinPE, especially as its PXE image is less than 100MB!

• 10.  RE: LinuxPE loads rootfs.gz and then remains at the Ready prompt regardless of what job was run.

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Mar 04, 2016 05:05 PM

There was a major change to LinPE in SP6 -it became a centos derivative and had put on a few pounds. It was alas no longer the lightweight piece of crumpet that it once was....

• 11.  RE: LinuxPE loads rootfs.gz and then remains at the Ready prompt regardless of what job was run.

Posted Mar 05, 2016 02:22 PM

So it seems.  I would never have thought that WinPE would be less of a memory hog than LinuxPE.