Mac Management Group

View Only
  • 1.  Replicate non-software packages between site servers?

Posted May 28, 2015 08:56 PM

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to have Altiris replicate items on the master package server that are not Altiris "software packages" to all location package servers. Either something built in, or by hacking/tricking it into doing it.

I have an Apple Software Update repository created by Reposado living on an internal server. A new site is created in IIS to server this content up to our Macs. I'd like to have this all patch content replicate to all the package servers, then create a simialr IIS site on each to server the content.

Macs could then be directed to find the patches on their local package server, instead of going to a single internal server, or out over the internet to Apple.

If you are unfamialr with Reposado, you can read about it here:

https://github.com/wdas/reposado

Anyone have any ideas how to make Altiris do this replication for me?

• 2.  RE: Replicate non-software packages between site servers?

Posted May 29, 2015 06:49 AM

I would simply create a SW package, as it doesnt need to be associated with a task or policy in order to be replicated to all package servers. 

• 3.  RE: Replicate non-software packages between site servers?

Posted May 29, 2015 07:01 AM
    And you could add command lines to the Software Resource containing the Package to create the IIS resources for you and run it as a Policy anyway.

• 4.  RE: Replicate non-software packages between site servers?

Posted May 30, 2015 07:13 AM

This is the entire patch respoitory for Apple, so it is updated daily by the Reposado daemon. Will Altiris replicate all content inside the software library folder, or does it need to be aware of it and actually imported into the NS database to make the replication work?

• 5.  RE: Replicate non-software packages between site servers?

Posted May 30, 2015 01:36 PM

There is a background process that updates the package definition on a regular basis, which will allow the SMP to include new data for that package in the config file for each PS when they request a new config, causing them to then download the new or updated files.