Migration UserSep 25, 2017 01:21 PM

• 1.  IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 22, 2017 04:08 AM

Highlights of the value ITMS 8.1 RU3 delivers to customer include:

• Support for RHEL 6.9 and CentOS 6.9
      For more information, see the support statement

Other Enhancements:

• Ability to switch AppIdentity through Symantec Installation Manager in case of the AppIdentity account expiration or lockout.
    • Notification of Symantec Management Console users in case of changes to the IT Management Suite GA Product Listing.
      Note that this notification is informational only. Actual update of product is performed in SIM. 
    • New configuration option to fail the job if a specific sub-task or sub-job within this job fails. 
    • Ability to add custom description to the task instance when scheduling a task.
    • Task configuration option to restart only the computers that are pending reboot.
    • Ability to use Data Class Summary Generator page to aggregate extensive data set in CMDB into a smaller data class content.
      For more information, see Creating Data Class Summary Generator
    • Ability to clone the target in target editor.
    • Enhancements of the Certificate Management page.
    • Improved performance of the Boot Disk Creator by reducing the time required to add preboot drivers and other packages while creating preboot packages for WinPE5 and WinPE 10.
    • Ability to capture an image of a computer with 4K native drive that has GPT partition and NTFS file system and to deploy it on a computer with 4K native drive.
    • 166 defects resolved, including 61 customer reported issues.
    • With the patch management metadata for Windows release 7.2.73, you can select specific Microsoft Office 365 channels for patching. (does not require RU3)
      For more information, see the knowledge base article DOC9673

The release notes are located at the following URL: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC10605

• 2.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 22, 2017 07:16 AM

Notification of Symantec Management Console users in case of changes to the IT Management Suite GA Product Listing.

This is how it looks when you have 8.1 RU3 installed and there is an update available in product listing

• 3.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Posted Sep 22, 2017 08:10 AM

Igor,

Is the notification displayed to Admin users only or to all users ?

Does any user can postpone it ?

Is admin still informed if non-admin role user postponed the notification ?

Thanks

Tomasz

• 4.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Posted Sep 22, 2017 08:46 AM

I share the same concerns as Tomasz.  I don't want my adminstrators to see this warning or have the option to postpone it.  Can we control who sees this with security roles?  I have many users of the console but I'm the only one who does platform updates.  This would be a nice feature if I can specifically choose who gets notified.  Otherwise, I don't like it.  Can I turn it off?  

• 5.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 22, 2017 09:51 AM

Hi Tomasz!

This notification icon is visible in SMP Console for accounts from any Role which has access to SMP Console.

If Account1 from Role1 has postponed this notification, then Account2 from Role1 will see this notification, otherwise postponing works per account not per Role.

Regards,

IP.

• 6.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 22, 2017 09:56 AM

Hi Joe!

Even if other accounts will see this notification in SMP Console, they will not be able to install any updates, because installation of Release Updates or Upgrade requiring NS AppIdentity Account to be logged in on Windows Server where NS is running.

This notification is visible for admin and non-admin level roles. For now impossible to set only required Role who only will see this notification.

Regards,

IP.

• 7.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Posted Sep 22, 2017 11:59 AM

Is there an update in the works that will allow us to customize this notification?  It saddens me to see that Symantec did not take this into consideration.  I do not want all of my workers asking about this when it appears.

• 8.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Posted Sep 22, 2017 12:18 PM

I would also have to express the same concern.  We do not want everyone, espeicially non admins to be prompted with this information.  Its unneeded information that has nothing pertaining to their function in the console.

Hope there is a future RU that will give Symantec Administrators the ability to disable this or is there a way to disable this all together?

• 9.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Posted Sep 22, 2017 12:45 PM

The most disappointing thing about this is that these concerns were already voiced to the product leadership during the user summit / technical worksshop held in May.  We had a lenghy discussion about needing some controls over this feature.   All I'm asking for is the ability to turn it off.  I dont' want this feature.  

• 10.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Sep 23, 2017 05:29 PM

I'm glad to see proactive notifications of upgrades, but I agree we need some granularity over this feature.  Only our admin roles should see it, other techs don't need to and it will only create more questions every time they see it.  

• 11.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Posted Sep 24, 2017 03:06 AM
    Good thing I'm not upgrading to this release any time soon. Who hired the good idea fairy at Symantec?

• 12.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Posted Sep 25, 2017 08:33 AM

I have to agree with everyone else. This is pretty stupid that we can't choose who gets this notification. I'll hold off before installing RU3 then. 

• 13.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Sep 25, 2017 08:42 AM

Hi All,

I think this is a great idea (a long time in coming) to have notifications in the console. However, to have them presented to all users presents difficulties on several levels.

My vote is to keep developing this feature, BUT PLEASE ASAP work on restricting this to Symantec Adminstrators in the first instance.

Kind Regards,
    Ian./

• 14.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Posted Sep 25, 2017 08:47 AM

What is the purpose of displaying this notification to all users instead symantec admins only? I'd seriously like to know if there's a valid reason.

• 15.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Sep 25, 2017 09:47 AM

I'm pretty sure that this is an oversight in the scoping of this feature. Symantec are trying to to release features faster for us, and sometimes a repercussion is that they won't work quite as we'd like.

The feedback loop allows us to voice concerns, and consequently for improvements to be made ;-)

I'd prefer Symantec carried on with this approach, rather than the old way of stalling features in development hell  *forever*.

Target a feature, develop it, release it, get feedback, and then improve in a hotfix if required.

• 16.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Posted Sep 25, 2017 10:04 AM

https://www.symantec.com/connect/ideas/disable-notification-sim-updates-itms-81-ru3

Vote here to disable the new "Feature" through a hotfix until they can scope the notifications.

• 17.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Posted Sep 25, 2017 10:06 AM

I doubt there is a reason, it's more likely an oversight. If you are a non-admin, do any of those menu options actually do anything or are they just cosmetic for non-admin users?

I'm not arguing for or against, just purely from a functionality point of view.

• 18.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Posted Sep 25, 2017 10:44 AM

Hi All - Thanks for the valuable feedback. Let me share a few additional items in relation to this feature that will hopefully help given the feedback. 

First, be aware that any notification for an update will most likely not show up until the next RU is available, approx. 8 weeks post RU3 delivery. Also, these notifications are not directly actionable, meaning that if an admin sees this notification, they will not be able to simply click on the update to do the install.

With that said, it is understood that it is a requirement to be able to turn this notification off for specific roles. We had (as Joe mentioned above) had this feedback previously and are currently working on adding this. It is anticipated that by the RU4 release the admin will have the ability to control which users can see the notification. At a minimum you will be able to scope it back to just being seen by ITMS Admin users only. In addition we will be looking closely at this feature in the future and adjust or add other benefits as needed. 

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Best Regards,

Damon

• 19.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Posted Sep 25, 2017 11:51 AM

Well said Ian.  I agree 100%.

• 20.  RE: IT Management Suite 8.1 RU3 is now available

Posted Sep 25, 2017 01:21 PM

Dupe Post.