Mac Management Group

View Only
  • 1.  Mac Silent Install of .mpkg fails

Posted Nov 22, 2017 01:32 PM

After our upgrade to Altiris 8.1 RU2, we have noticed some strange behavior in importing and installing Mac software from Altiris.

DMG files are not always recognized when we try to import them. If we extract the MPKG file, that is usually recognized however when we try to silently install the package using the automatically generated command line (pkg-rollout -f 'software.mpkg'), it is failing with the error "command finished with error code: (1) operation not permitted".

Is there a step that we are missing or some reason why this error keeps occuring?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Mac Silent Install of .mpkg fails

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 22, 2017 02:01 PM

Hi,

When you import DMG file you should select mpkg file inside it. In 8.1 release, on software package import dialog, you can see DMG and its tree(there is a gray arrow, which you should click to expand DMG tree). After that, select needed package(mpkg I guess, which should be inside DMG tree). After that correct command line will be generated (something like pkg-rollout -F "file.dmg" -e "file.mpkg"). If dmg cannot be parsed and tree doesn't appear, that means we were not able to get tree(dmg structure) by some reason.(maybe there is sometihng in log?) In this case need to analyze pacakge you are trying to import. Can you please send package to me, with which you are seeing issues? 

Thanks,

Andrei!

• 3.  RE: Mac Silent Install of .mpkg fails
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 01, 2017 12:57 PM

Thank you Andrei! I really appreciate your answer. Unfortunately, in this case the tree did not appear.

What I found was that I needed to run a sudo chmod 755 on the DMG file to get it to be recognized by the console. We have never had to do this with previous versions of Altiris but it looks like that might be needed for 8.1 RU2.

Once I ran the chmod 755 and reimported that DMG, it was recognized and the installation worked.