Mac Management Group

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

• 1.  IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 21, 2015 02:43 AM

IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is available through SIM. The release has the following highlights:    

• Support for RHEL 5.11 and 6.6  (see the articles at: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC8506 and http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC8507)
    • Support for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3
    • Fixes for several customer issues
    • Easier ways to import the third-party certificate to Internet gateway
    • OpenSSL is upgraded to version 1.0.1m
    • New check box for the Deploy Image task

You can access the ITMS 7.6 HF1 release notes from the following location:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC8505

• 2.  RE: IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Posted Apr 23, 2015 01:48 PM

Anybody had an issue with the HF1 installer seemingly getting stuck on task 5 of 8 of the "Monitor Solution 7.6 HF1" update?  It's been going for nearly an hour now on task 5 of 8, overall progress 59%.

The progress text keeps alternating between "Configuring Monitor Solution 7.6 HF1" and "Configure Monitor Solution 7.6 HF1 - Installing Database Objects". It's been alternating between those statuses for nearly an hour and I'm wondering if I should cancel it, and untick Monitor Soltion when I try to install HF1 again.

• 3.  RE: IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Posted Apr 23, 2015 02:05 PM

Oh well, there goes that idea...  seems the Cancel button is useless.  "Symantec Installation Manager is installing or uninstalling products. Please wait for this process to complete."

How long do I sit here waiting for this install step to move on? If something isn't working, surely it'll give up at some stage, won't it?

• 4.  RE: IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Posted Apr 23, 2015 02:33 PM

Sorry for the triple post, just a quick status update.

I had to reboot the server and force SIM to close in the end.  Upon server restart, I ran SIM again and Monitor Solution no longer showed in the hot fix list. I have installed the remaining ones (software manager, virtual machine management) and they installed in a flash with no issues.  You might therefore want to look into the Monitor service portion of the HF1 installer.

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Posted Apr 27, 2015 08:39 AM

Hi Ryan,

Can you let us know Monitor solution/Plugin version in your machine before you ran the 7.6 HF1 installer?  Do you still have older version of Monitor solution running in that box? Also you've mentioned SIM doesn't show up Monitor solution in the HF list, can you confirm whether SIM was upgraded to latest one?

• 6.  RE: IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Posted Apr 27, 2015 11:45 AM

Hi Ganesh

After having to force the reboot of the server, I was able to re-run SIM and install the remaining components of HF1. However Monitor Solution was not one of the options any longer.

Looking in SIM now, the Monitor Solution is showing as being at version 7.6 AND 7.6 HF 1. Not entirely sure it installed correctly though seeing as I had to kill the server half way through because the installer got stuck.

monitor-solution.PNG

Now we also have another issue. All of our site server's task server components are refusing to communicate with the NS. The logs indicate a response of HTTP 400 Bad Request from the NS.

badrequest.PNG

noregistered.PNG

I can confirm that SIM was before the update, and still is as of now, fully up to date. Or at least the there no more updates offered when I started the application today. I can't actually see the version number listed in the SIM gui at all though, so I can't say for sure :)

Any ideas?

• 7.  RE: IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 27, 2015 01:12 PM

Hi,

Task server cannot work with NS if NS has newer version than TS. You will need to upgrade SMA on site-servers and then task servers itself. Please enable "Symantec Management Agent for Windows x64 (Site Server Only) - Upgrade" and "Symantec Management Agent for Windows x86 (Site Server Only) - Upgrade" policies first. After SMA on site-server will be upgraded please enable "Task Service Upgrade (x64)" and "Task Service Upgrade (x86)" policies (both TS upgrade policies located in "Site Management  - Site Server Settings  
     Task Service  - Advanced" folder).

Note: after SMA upgrade it might take some time before task servers required upgrade will appear in TS Upgrade filters (you may run "collection membership update" to speed-up the process.

Note_2: if you already have upgrades SMA and TS once then you will need to specify schedule for the upgrade policies otherwise they won't be executed as "run asap" is a single time action.

Thank you,

Alex.

• 8.  RE: IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Posted Apr 28, 2015 05:38 AM

Ryan,

From screen shot it looks HF1 version of Monitor Solution for Server has been installed successfully on top of 7.6x.  To confirm, can you verify file "Altiris.Monitor.Agent.dll"   version is 7.6.1423

C:\Program Files\Altiris\Monitor Solution\AexMonitor\Agent\Bin

• 9.  RE: IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Posted Apr 28, 2015 05:55 AM

Thanks Ganesh, I can confirm the file is the correct version. It just worries me that with the install getting stuck and me having to force reboot the server, that it hasn't completed configuration of the monitor pack even though the necessary files might be correct.  It was alternating between the file install message, and a database message repeatedly at the time. I don't think we really use this particular solution here, so it's not too much of an issue. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the next version update installs successfully over the top of this.

Now just my other task server issues remain.

Thanks for your time.

• 10.  RE: IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Posted Apr 28, 2015 05:57 AM

Hi Alex

Thanks for the advice, however this isn't my first rodeo :)  The SMA was updated on all site servers first, which happened within an hour of the NS being upgraded on Thursday last week (with one exception where it took over 4 hours for the SMA package to replicate to that server). The task and package server agent updates were then enabled afterwards. This was all done before the weekend, so they should be updated by now.

Below is a clipping of the NS on the left, and the site server of our HQ site on the right. As you can see both are the same version, however the logs of the site server on the right continue to show errors relating to "HTTP 400 Bad Request" when communicating with the NS.

versions.PNG

The same is true for all the other site servers, they all appear to have the same version installed, yet are showing HTTP 400 Bad Request repeatedly in the logs.

Edit: You'll need to open the above image in a new tab, it's cut the right hand edge of it off in the post above.

• 11.  RE: IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 28, 2015 06:03 AM

Hi Ryan,

In such case I can only request the usual thing: if possible, please attach altiris logs from NS server and from a site-server.

Thank you,

Alex.

• 12.  RE: IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Posted Apr 28, 2015 06:44 AM

Ok not a problem, which logs do you require please? Presume agent.log from the site server? What do you need from the NS?

• 13.  RE: IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 28, 2015 06:53 AM

Correct: for the site-server please attach contents of "ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec Agent\Logs" directory. For the SMP: please launch Altiris log viewer, select menu File -> Watch folders. Uncheck SIM logs and press ZIP button in "watch folders" dialog  tollbar.

Thank you,

Alex.

• 14.  RE: IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Posted Apr 28, 2015 07:14 AM

Thanks Alex. Do you have some way I can send these to you rather than posting the files here? There will be sensitive user and domain names and suchlike that I'd prefer not be in the public domain. Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the private message feature and it accepted attachments, so all is good :)

• 15.  RE: IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 28, 2015 07:37 AM

Please try the next steps on a remote TS:

- run the following command line: aspnet_regiis.exe /iru

- restart atrshost ("Altiris Object Host Service") service.

The Aspnet_regiis.exe file can be found in one of the following locations:

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319 (on a 64-bit computer)

Thank you,

Alex.

• 16.  RE: IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Posted Apr 28, 2015 08:06 AM

I've run that command on the WREPRT01 site server, but it made no difference. Still getting the bad request messages in the log, and the Task Status table still says Not registered

• 17.  RE: IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Posted Apr 30, 2015 09:16 AM

Tried installing HF1 and it failed. rebooted multiple times and retried. Then jsut chose Symantec Management Platform 7.6HF1 (7.6.1423) only and still fails...

stops services
    Installing 1 of 1 components - Altirsi Task management services - then states failed.

any thoughts?

Only thing I can see in the logs is

<event date="04/30/2015 09:08:24.9024379 -04:00" severity="4" hostName="HPW-ALTIRIS-76" source="Symantec.Installation.Msi.RunMsiInstallProduct" module="SymantecInstallationManager.exe" process="SymantecInstallationManager" pid="1588" thread="13" tickCount="5975312"><![CDATA[Installing Package C:\PROGRA~1\Altiris\Symantec Installation Manager\Installs\Altiris\altiris_taskmanagement_hotfix_7_6_hf1_x64.msi with arguments RUNBYAIM=1 ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT=1 ALTIRIS="C:\Program Files\Altiris\" REBOOT=ReallySuppress ALLUSERS=1]]></event>
    <event date="04/30/2015 09:08:25.2149275 -04:00" severity="4" hostName="HPW-ALTIRIS-76" source="Symantec.Installation.Automation.ConsoleEvents.InstallManager_InstallProgressEvent" module="SymantecInstallationManager.exe" process="SymantecInstallationManager" pid="1588" thread="13" tickCount="5975625"><![CDATA[Installing:  1 of 1 components: Altiris TaskManagement 7.6 HF1 x64 (7.6.1423)]]></event>
    <event date="04/30/2015 09:08:36.6211330 -04:00" severity="1" hostName="HPW-ALTIRIS-76" source="Symantec.Installation.Msi.RunMsiInstallProduct" module="SymantecInstallationManager.exe" process="SymantecInstallationManager" pid="1588" thread="13" tickCount="5987031"><![CDATA[PerformInstall - RunMsiInstallProduct(): Install Package C:\PROGRA~1\Altiris\Symantec Installation Manager\Installs\Altiris\altiris_taskmanagement_hotfix_7_6_hf1_x64.msi Failed with result InstallFailure]]></event>
    <event date="04/30/2015 09:08:36.6211330 -04:00" severity="1" hostName="HPW-ALTIRIS-76" source="Symantec.Installation.PerformInstall.InstallComponent" module="SymantecInstallationManager.exe" process="SymantecInstallationManager" pid="1588" thread="13" tickCount="5987031"><![CDATA[Install failure while installing (Package: Altiris TaskManagement 7.6 HF1 x64) 7.6.1423 {5a8a1868-e61f-45ad-ad3f-116f9d771a8b} http://www.solutionsam.com/solutions/7_6_hf1/smp (in product Symantec Management Platform 7.6 HF1). Windows Installer API return code: 1603]]></event>
    <event date="04/30/2015 09:08:36.6367502 -04:00" severity="4" hostName="HPW-ALTIRIS-76" source="Symantec.Installation.PerformUninstall.UninstallProducts" module="SymantecInstallationManager.exe" process="SymantecInstallationManager" pid="1588" thread="13" tickCount="5987046"><![CDATA[Removing configuration file for product guid 5a8a1868-e61f-45ad-ad3f-116f9d771a8b.]]></event>
    <event date="04/30/2015 09:08:36.6523725 -04:00" severity="2" hostName="HPW-ALTIRIS-76" source="Symantec.Installation.PerformUninstall.UninstallComponent" module="SymantecInstallationManager.exe" process="SymantecInstallationManager" pid="1588" thread="13" tickCount="5987062"><![CDATA[A package requested for uninstall (Altiris TaskManagement 7.6 HF1 x64 (7.6.1423), package co

• 18.  RE: IT Management Suite 7.6 HF1 is now available

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 30, 2015 10:45 AM

Hi TeleFragger,

Question:

• Did you have same error during 1st attempt of HF1 installation or there was another?

Notes:

1) Here is a link about Windows Installer API return code: 1603

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/understanding-error-1603-fatal-error-during-installation

2) Also you can enable verbose logging in SIM for *.msi installations to see more detailed log about this error occuring. Open SIM -> click "Settings" -> enable "Verbose logging" -> reproduce issue with msi installation -> then click on "Create Support Package" in Settings of SIM -> open containing folder -> now you will have all required logs to see more detailed reason of this failure

MSI_Verbose_SIM.jpg

Thanks,

IP.