Mac Management Group

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Patch Management Solution for Mac - Multiple source locations?

• 1.  Patch Management Solution for Mac - Multiple source locations?

Posted Nov 03, 2015 08:04 PM

Hi Everyone,

Can the download source for updates managed by Patch management be modified ala Package Server?

I am just validating Patch Management Solution for Mac 7.6 HF5. I have the NS running on a recommended spec Server 2012 R2 with External DB on SQL 2012 Enterprise.

I have followed the documentation and successfully had the assesment scan run on a test Mac and identify 3 recommended updates. I have been able to install the 3 updates via a rollout job, however I noticed it took 15mins to download and install just an itunes update which I suspect was downloading directly from the NS, which is based in another country. Heaven forbid what happens if I want to push a larger update to multiple users across our WAN infrastructure.

Is there a way I can have the updates come from multiple local source's based on the user location? I am hoping there is an option to configure the same way Package Server works.

I apologise for the simple question, however as I cant find any reference to this anywhere I already suspect the answer is no, which baffles me as it would then make Patch Management useless for anyone whose organisation operates across multiple sites with low bandwidth.

Thanks

Mark

• 2.  RE: Patch Management Solution for Mac - Multiple source locations?

Posted Nov 04, 2015 12:17 PM

The location of OS X patches can be modified... but only to a OS X server that is acting as an update caching server.  Once you stand up an OS X server, and enable the service, you can run a single command to tell computers to look to it for patches (and other app updates).  If this solution is not what you were looking for, you can also treat mac patches like standard software packages, and deploy them using the managed software delivery policies (or tasks).  Hope that helps!