Mumbai Security and Compliance User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Handle Invalid Error

Posted May 28, 2011 02:39 AM

Hi Guys,

Iam planning to test out USB encryption software..but when i tested that in full protetcion installed clients it is telling as handle invalid error..Kindly help me to sort out this issue. but it is working fine in only antivirus proetction installed systems.

• 2.  RE: Handle Invalid Error

Posted May 28, 2011 05:07 AM

In a fully protected installation you get also the Application & Device Control feature.

Likely your SEP has a Device Control policy which does not allow some activities required for the encryption. Try to disable that policy to verify my insight, you can then disable those rules one by one to identify the one in conflict with your needs and narrow down the troubleshooting, do it in a test environment!

• 3.  RE: Handle Invalid Error

Posted May 28, 2011 07:41 AM

You  have rule which is blocking it

Error: "The handle is invalid" when attempting to launch a process blocked with Application Control in Symantec Endpoint Protection

• 4.  RE: Handle Invalid Error

Posted May 28, 2011 07:43 AM

The installation of Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client fails and rolls back around the point of registering with LiveUpdate

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH94596

• 5.  RE: Handle Invalid Error

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 30, 2011 12:30 PM

Hello,

This behavior is normal. This error is displayed by the Operating System, not by SEP, and is a result of the Application Control policy intercepting and blocking the attempt to launch the process.

The error may be different depending on which type of process is trying to launch the blocked executable - launching from a CMD console window may give the error "The system cannot execute the specified program", while launching from the Explorer GUI gives the "The handle is invalid." message.

Incase, you you could disable the Policy or the Application & Device Control, you may not get that message.

• 6.  RE: Handle Invalid Error

Posted Jun 02, 2011 12:53 AM

Hi,

I tried also but agin itself iam getting the same error..in only anti virus syetm it is working fine..but in full protection installed system only iam getting this error..

• 7.  RE: Handle Invalid Error

Posted Jun 02, 2011 03:05 AM

Hi Srikanth,

Disable SEP features one by one until you don't identify the one which causing your issue.

Best Regards,

• 8.  RE: Handle Invalid Error

Posted Jun 21, 2011 06:22 AM

Any improvement in this..

I tried disabling each rule on eby one..but still the same error..