Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

FillWord setting on 5100 8Gb switch

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  FillWord setting on 5100 8Gb switch

Posted 15 days ago
    Hello,

I have the following configuration of switches:

Brocade 6510 <-2x trunk ISL> Brocade 5100 < 2x trunk DWDM ISL > Brocade 5100

On the 5100 series, I'm seeing a lot of er_bad_os errors. After some reading and looking at older posts, I concluded that the fillword parameter is not correctly set as it is set to 0 on all ports and according to the docs read, it should be set to 3 on 8Gb switches:
    > portcfgshow 32
    Area Number:		  32
    Speed Level:		  AUTO(HW)
    Fill Word(On Active)	  0(Idle-Idle)
    Fill Word(Current)	  0(Idle-Idle)​

Questions:
    - Should I change the fillword to 3? Is this a safe change or are there cases when fillword 3 is not OK?
    - What about DWDM links? I think I read somewhere that the fillword for DWDM should be Idle-Idle for it to work (we use ADWA DWDM systems)
    - Do I need to set fillwords on server/storage side as well or switch only?
    - Am I missing anything (I'm new to FC)?

Thanks, Matej

• 2.  RE: FillWord setting on 5100 8Gb switch
    Best Answer

Posted 14 days ago
    Hello Matej,

You've find out right solution, but... it depends.

-  mostly it depends on hardware which you have connected to the switches. Most of the storage would like to have fill word 3 in place as the IDLE/IDLE is obsolete.
    - if the DWDM link doesn't show er_bad_os errors i will keep it as it is  - but again check what is your ADVA device requesting.
    - fill word is set up on switch ..i guess that there is possibility to change it on server side but i never found that.

- last thing be aware that changing of Fill word will make link reset on link which may disrupt some traffic between your devices.

------------------------------
    If my answer fulfilled your question please mark the reply as "Make Best Answer"

Kind Regards

Marian

• 3.  RE: FillWord setting on 5100 8Gb switch

Posted 14 days ago
    I'll check the recommended/required settings regarding storage, servers and tape attached to the switches.

I checked the DWDM ports and I have zero er_bad_os errors on DWDM links, but high numbers on server/tape ports. I'll do some testing with servers if everything works.

Thanks for info.

• 4.  RE: FillWord setting on 5100 8Gb switch

Posted 9 days ago
    Hello Matej,

if you don't have any errors on DWDM then there is no any action needed.
    Most of new storage devices would like to have fill-word 3 in place.

If my answer fulfilled your question please mark the reply as "Make Best Answer"

Kind Regards

Marian

• 5.  RE: FillWord setting on 5100 8Gb switch

Posted 6 days ago
    I'm just repliying to let you know that I updated the FillWord and all the errors went to 0.

Servers and storage was updated to FillWord 3 and I left DWDM on 0, since I didn't see any errors there.

#ThumbsUp

• 6.  RE: FillWord setting on 5100 8Gb switch

Posted yesterday
    Hello,

I am glad that your issue is fixed :)

Kind Regards

Marian