Brocade Automation Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Soliciting For API Use Cases

• 1.  Soliciting For API Use Cases

Posted 07-08-2019 10:26 AM
    A colleague and I are trying to get a better understanding of how customers will use the RESTConf API direct to FOS based switches. The eventual goal is to publish some easy to use libraries. Now that the API has been available and customers are beginning to take a serious look, I want to revisit some basic questions:

Will you be using it with a task machine such as Ansible? If so, Ansible, HAD, something else?

Will you be launching scripts from a Unix shell or DOS?

What types of tasks are you looking to automate (zoning, statistics gathering, etc.)

Where are you in the development cycle? (just curious, early planning stages, some rudimentary scripts written, well along the way, ...)

------------------------------
    Field Applications Engineer
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Soliciting For API Use Cases

Posted 08-07-2019 08:38 AM
    I'm in the early planning phase of automating zoning. I started looking at this a month ago and I'm trying to decide on the best approach. I'm new to ansible but I think this is probably going to be the tool I will use. Initially I was looking at doing this with my own scripts but there's no point reinventing the wheel.

We have a large shared environment with a few hundred blade servers and zoning requests are frequent enough to automate this task. 

At the moment I think that ansible is the best way forward but I'm open to whatever suits best. My 2 biggest issues are that I do not have a test environment to dry run the scripts and there's a lot of code to read through before getting started.

Once this is operational we will start looking at gathering stats but for now I'm just hoping to reduce server deployment time.