Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Switch replacement ISL/trunk connection order and setup

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Switch replacement ISL/trunk connection order and setup

Posted 6 days ago
    Edited by Jim 6 days ago
    Hi,

We are replacing the majority of our FC backbone, currently we have principle 2 fabrics that both look like this:

SwitchA-------2 path LW Trunk to-----------SwitchB

Switch A and B are going to be replaced (by SwitchC and SwitchD). So we'll do the basic config on C and D and then we'll create a temporary ISL/trunk, first between A and C and then B and D.

SwitchA-------2 path LW Trunk to-----------SwitchB
         -                                                             -
    2 path SW trunk to                                   2 path SW trunk to 
    SwitchC                                                    SwitchD

At this point C and D (which have no zoning config) should happily merge with the existing fabric.

So do we then do this:

SwitchA-------1 path LW ISL to-----------SwitchB
    2 path SW Trunk to                               2 path SW Trunk to 
    SwitchC-------1 path LW ISL to-----------SwitchD

Then we can start to move server and storage connections over from A to C and B to D and then at somepoint we can do this:

SwitchA                                                SwitchB
    2 path SW Trunk to                              2 path SW Trunk to 
    SwitchC-------2 path LW Trunk to--------SwitchD

And then, once all the client and storage connections are moved over we can decommission A and B and rinse and repeat for the other fabric.

Does that process all sound OK to people please?

• 2.  RE: Switch replacement ISL/trunk connection order and setup
    Best Answer

Posted yesterday
    I have no reason to think it would be a problem but I always like to minimize the number of fabric merges on a production environment. I would connect the ISLs between C and D first (so you have a fabric with no zoning and All Access enabled). Once this is done, it doesn't matter which switch and port you physically connect to merge the fabrics but I would do just one ISL, validate that the fabrics did in fact merge. The next steps would be to connect the remaining ISLs and validate that the trunks were properly formed. Note that in the second step there is no fabric merge, just ISL trunks being formed.

------------------------------
    Field Applications Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: Switch replacement ISL/trunk connection order and setup

Posted yesterday
    Thanks, reducing the number of fabric merges is sensible, the reason for merging both switches independently at each site was the availability of the LW ISL links - there are only 2 physical paths in each fabric, so if we move one link to merge C and D first then we're reducing the production trunk to a single path until we then complete the connections between A-C and B-D.

• 4.  RE: Switch replacement ISL/trunk connection order and setup

Posted 18 hours ago
    Hello,

there is no sense to enable All Access, this may only bring issues to fabric if something mess up.

For your steps i will connect ISL between new and old switches, migrate all connections and at the end migrate LW ISLs, then decom of old switches.

If my answer fulfilled your question please mark the reply as "Make Best Answer"

Kind Regards

Marian