Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Peer Zoning w/ Multiple Principals?

• 1.  Peer Zoning w/ Multiple Principals?

Posted 12-05-2019 01:15 PM
    Hello Folks,

Brocade 8.2.x

Brocade 6520's

Is it best practice to create a large zone with multiple principals storage units?

-OR-

Is it better to keep the principals separate and add the non-principal WWNs to each zone that has the principal, as needed?

Since you can have a host WWN within multiple zones, I would think the need to create a large zone with multiple principals is not necessary and could later on cause problems.

What are your thoughts?

------------------------------
    Sr. Storage Admin

• 2.  RE: Peer Zoning w/ Multiple Principals?

Posted 12-05-2019 03:26 PM

I've not seen any best practices for Peer Zoning.

In the Zone-120 course:

"For peer zones with more than one principal members, the principal members are not allowed to communicate among themselves."

• 3.  RE: Peer Zoning w/ Multiple Principals?

Posted 12-06-2019 05:36 AM
    As Richard Kelley mentioned, I have not seen any best practices around peer zoning either. I have customers with compute nodes who have put all the servers in a peer zone as members and all the storage as principals. In this case, the compute nodes are well defined and any change to the node will effect the entire node so it makes sense to do so. I would not do this in less controlled environments because it can become a zoning management nightmare with future changes.

Field Applications Engineer
    Broadcom

• 4.  RE: Peer Zoning w/ Multiple Principals?

Posted 12-06-2019 10:47 AM
    Thank you guys. What I will do is create a standard zone if needed for the principals to talk. Otherwise I will do the normal and the principals will not talk as expected.

Thanks!

Sr. Storage Admin

• 5.  RE: Peer Zoning w/ Multiple Principals?

Posted 12-09-2019 10:56 AM
    From my understanding of peer zoning again there is no best practice, but I would implement 1 principal device and then all non-principals that need to communicate with that port.  So my zoning comes down to a zone per initiator.