Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Add Switch to Fabric

• 1.  Add Switch to Fabric

Posted 12-10-2019 02:24 PM
    Dear all,

I have to add a SAN Switch to an existing fabric. This switch (named Switch-A) has servers and storages connected to it (is currently active). It doesn't have an active configuration (No zoning). Now, I need to connect this switch to a fabric which already has multiple switches and zones configured.

What's the appropriate procedure to join this switch to the fabric? What will happen with the servers connected to the Switch-A (They will stop seeing the Storage), until I add the appropriate zones?

thanks in advance.

Regards,

• 2.  RE: Add Switch to Fabric

Posted 12-10-2019 03:51 PM
    aabuitrago,

How do you have servers/storage on Switch-A if there is no zoning?   How are the servers seeing the storage?

1.  Check that Switch-A has a different Domain ID than the other switches in the fabric.  If not, change the Domain ID of Switch-A to a unique number.
    2.  Run a FC cable and connect Switch-A port to a port on the main switch in your fabric.  Notice I did not say "Principal" switch; I said "main" switch; two different entities.
            a.  The ports should automatically log-in as ISL ports
            b.  Once port log-in occurs, fabric log-in will process
            c.  Once fabric log-in completes, the enabled zone configuration from your initial fabric will copy over to Switch-A overwriting any existing zone configurations on Switch-A.

I hope this helps.

• 3.  RE: Add Switch to Fabric

Posted 12-10-2019 04:24 PM
    Hi Spencer,

thank you for your prompt response. It was a switch with default configuration. No zoning with servers and storage connected.

• 4.  RE: Add Switch to Fabric

Posted 12-10-2019 09:54 PM
    So is there any zone configuration active in existing fabric? If yes, joining Switch-A to it will cause the traffic on Switch-A stopped as mentioned by Spencer that the configuration will propagate into Switch-A. In order to avoid that, you may define the zone required on Switch-A first in existing fabric before physically joining them.

What is the default zone setting in existing fabric? Either "allaccess" or "noaccess". It is better to make it the same as Switch-A which should be "allaccess" right now.

• 5.  RE: Add Switch to Fabric

Posted 12-11-2019 08:37 AM
    So is there any zone configuration active in existing fabric?  Yes the fabric has a zone configuration

Both, the fabric and Switch-A has default zone configured as ALLAccess

Regards,

• 6.  RE: Add Switch to Fabric

Posted 12-11-2019 10:41 PM

Good, watch for the options on how can you merge them without down time if it is a concern.

Also please read the release note and make sure the FOS interoperability requirement is met.

• 7.  RE: Add Switch to Fabric

Posted 12-11-2019 11:49 AM
    Check out any "Fabric OS Administrations Guide" document and carefully read the "Zone Merging Scenarios" section, your scenario should be reflected in the document.​