Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

ISL Inquiries

• 1.  ISL Inquiries

Posted 30 days ago
    Hi,

I'd like to ask help from gurus in here... we have multiple 6 SAN Switches not interconnected, each 2 Switches are connected to few hosts and a SAN.

We want to have these SAN switches interconnected so that we can have the ability to present SAN to all hosts if necessary.
    Below is our SAN Switches inventory: I'd like to have compatibility matrix with the FOS as well as do we need to have ISL license?

We also have newly acquired Dell Connectrix 6505b for a new SAN, we also want to interconnect this to the existing. I'm new to ISL, I'm just used to do zoning config, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

HP Storageworks 8/24 SAN switch 6.3.1a
    Fabric license
    Enhanced Group Management license
    8 Gig FC license

HP BROCADE 6505 7.0.1
    Full Ports on Demand license - additional 12 port upgrade license

HP BROCADE SLKWRM 300 6.4.2a
    Fabric license
    Full Ports on Demand license - additional 16 port upgrade license
    First Ports on Demand license - additional 8 port upgrade license
    8 Gig FC license

HP BROCADE 6510 7.2.0a
    Full Ports on Demand license - additional 24 port upgrade license

HP BROCADE SLKWRM HP2 6.3.1c
    Fabric license
    Full Ports on Demand license - additional 12 port upgrade license
    8 Gig FC license

HP BROCADE SLKWRM 300 6.4.1b
    Fabric license
    8 Gig FC license

• 2.  RE: ISL Inquiries

Posted 29 days ago
    The 8G switches are either past end of support or will be as of 14 November 2019. Although I recall caveats with licensing around building fabrics with older code, I don't recall the details.

On the 16G switches, no special licensing is required when running on current supported code to ISL them to other switches. Licensing may be required for advanced features such as long distances between switches or trunking.

Since half the switches you listed are past end of support and none of the switches are on a supported version of FOS, I'm extremely hesitant to provide any advice regarding your direct question. What I do advise is to get together with your local account team and plan on getting all of these switches and FOS levels up to supported versions before re-configuring the SAN.

If you don't have budget for new equipment, I suggest getting all the 16G switches up to supported code and limit this exercise to just the 16G switches. Note that FOS 8.x will not inter-operate with switches at FOS 6.x in the same fabric.

------------------------------
    Field Applications Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: ISL Inquiries

Posted 29 days ago
    Hi Jack,

Thanks for the information.

In case we go for connecting only the 6505 6510 and the 6505b, we just need to upgrade the FOS to at least 7.3.1 (as per interop). We won't need the ISL license, since the goal is to just interconnect these switches. May I request a link to guide me perform this - thanks. Current SAN switches are on prod, and I don't want to mess it up (although I can backup the config).

After I put the FOS to a supported level, will the ISL configuration be a seamless operation?
    Will the current zone config be not affected?
    Once they are interconnected, do I still perform the zoning on each switch?

Regards,
    Renen Quinto

• 4.  RE: ISL Inquiries

Posted 29 days ago
    Renen,

I recommend Administering Advanced Zoning: Zone merging in the Fabric Administrators Guide.

To net it out, the easiest way to merge these fabrics is if you can pick one switch whose zoning you will keep, then remove all zoning in all other switches and enable the All Access zone.

If you need to combine zoning, you will merge the fabrics the same way. The  difference is that you will need to add the zoning from the fabrics (switches) to the switch you are not going to change. There is certainly going to be an outage.

Broadcom

• 5.  RE: ISL Inquiries

Posted 29 days ago
    Forgot to mention, there is a good discussion on this topic already:

https://community.broadcom.com/fibrechannelnetworking/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=1147&MessageKey=cee3369f-0367-4739-90b8-3d5eab7486da&CommunityKey=8c20a621-3946-4e2f-a557-34d1c9c9eeb3&tab=digestviewer&ReturnUrl=%2ffibrechannelnetworking%2fcommunities%2fcommunity-home%2fdigestviewer%3fcommunitykey%3d8c20a621-3946-4e2f-a557-34d1c9c9eeb3%26tab%3ddigestviewer

Broadcom