Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Download FOS

• 1.  Download FOS

Posted 11-26-2019 11:29 AM
    HI,

I would like to know how to download Fabric OS from Broadcom/Brocade site, please
    I suppose I miss something, it seems I can only find it on resellers sites (HP, DELL EMC, ...)

Also where can I find really old FOS, e.g. FOS 6.x
    Thanks for your time

• 2.  RE: Download FOS

Posted 11-26-2019 01:09 PM
    All old FOS release as 7.3.x are End of Support and no longer available for download.

------------------------------
    TechHelp24

• 3.  RE: Download FOS

Posted 11-26-2019 01:25 PM
    OK, I understand that
    I was asking for a running migration with really old FOS, 6.4, I wanted to potentially upgrade these switches to FOS 7
    And I was looking for the actual code 6.4 in case of something happen and I got to "failback"
    In case I find it somewhere, still possible in some of my archive, do you know if it is possible to downgrade from FOS 7.0 to 6.4 e.g. ?
    Thank you for your help

system engineer
    AXIANS

• 4.  RE: Download FOS

Posted 11-26-2019 01:36 PM
    --->>>......do you know if it is possible to downgrade from FOS 7.0 to 6.4 e.g. ?

from you question, i've the impression you don't hare most experienced with, I'm right ?

for that reason you should avoid to do firmwaredowngrade, additional all depend of type of environments, switch type7model and much more,
    you want to migrate to. there is impossible to give a standard aswer, for a simple reason each environments is unique and customer specific.

TechHelp24

• 5.  RE: Download FOS

Posted 11-26-2019 02:06 PM
    "from you question, i've the impression you don't hare most experienced with, I'm right ?"
    I'm so sad you think that..... but if you say so, so be it !
    In fact I did another FOS downgrade with success today, I assure you !

For this downgrade question the switch model is an HP 8/40, equivalent to brocade 5100
    Which are out of support now. But indeed we are replacing them with some new Gen5 (FOS 7, no big deal) and Gen6 switches (well, here there is a situation, because there is no other choice than FOS 8, which is not compatible with FOS 7 in the same fabric)

system engineer
    AXIANS

• 6.  RE: Download FOS

Posted 11-27-2019 08:27 AM
    Since the old releases are required to upgrade to the current (supported) release I don't see how Brocade could make them unavailable.

Am I missing something ?

Harry C
    SysAdmin
    American Bar Assoc.

tout jour prest

• 7.  RE: Download FOS

Posted 11-27-2019 09:58 AM
    @Flo-T

As documented in the FOS release notes (8.2.1c for example), you can run switches with FOS  >7.3​ in the same Fabric.   (the earliest supported software versions that interoperate. Use the latest software versions to get the greatest benefit from the SAN.)   So you could run a 5100 with FOS 7.4.2d for example, which would be inter operable from a FOS perspective.

However as you know, the 5100 is already out of support and any Fabric issues with an EoS switch in the fabric won't be analyzed and resolved by support.

Senior Systems Engineer
    Broadcom - Brocade Storage Networking

• 8.  RE: Download FOS

Posted 11-27-2019 11:24 AM
    Thank you Thomas
    Okay. So you confirm all end of supported FOS are not available for download, from Brocade at least, nor OEM ?
    I agree with HarryC, this is bad, because we could need them in some case (for non disruptive upgrade of old switch e.g., or in my case), and some download could be available as archives, without recommending to use these FOS versions into production

Also, at last, my past question is still alive, do you know if it is possible to downgrade from FOS 7.0 to 6.4 please ?

nobody
    nocorp

• 9.  RE: Download FOS

Posted 11-27-2019 12:02 PM
    Flo,
    if you need FOS versions not available on our OEMs download sites, you'll have to open a support ticket with them and request the versions you need and they will provide the versions you need. Bad or not, it's company policy to enforce the software EULAs are met.

I still do not see any reason for you to downgrade, but a downgrade from FOS 7.0 to 6.4 is possible.  However there are some restrictions documented in the release notes (like certain FC-IP configurations or if a configured port name is longer than 32 characters) that would prevent a downgrade.

​

Senior Systems Engineer
    Broadcom - Brocade Storage Networking

• 10.  RE: Download FOS

Posted 11-27-2019 12:21 PM
    Okay, thank you all for your time
    Sorry to make you repeat the same thing again and again, you're right, this is company policy
    Reason to downgrade is only hypothetical if something go wrong..
    Bye

nobody
    nocorp