Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Brocade to Cisco UCS

• 1.  Brocade to Cisco UCS

Posted 11-18-2019 10:50 AM

Hello,

We recently had an issue with Brocade to Cisco UCS connectivity

I was cleaning up some incorrect zones on half the fabric.   I removed a rather large group removing half the pathing.   All the ESXi hosts lost pathing briefly and we had to reboot them to fix it.

From the Storage Arrays to Brocade to Cisco UCS the pathing showed that it was connected.    VMware reported losing storage.   Oracle VM manager reported losing storage.

The Vendors are both claiming there was no pathing issue.   Our executive wants an answer.

Has anyone experienced issues like this between Brocade SAN switches and Cisco UCS

• 2.  RE: Brocade to Cisco UCS

Posted 11-19-2019 07:11 AM
    I have many UCS customers and have not heard of this problem. I came across the site below while researching some UCS questions. The site host accepts questions and gives very thorough and on point response. I took a quick look but didn't find this specific question.

https://ucsguru.com/2012/08/09/have-a-question-about-cisco-ucs-ask-it-here/

------------------------------
    Field Applications Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: Brocade to Cisco UCS

Posted 11-19-2019 09:40 AM
    Hi Ryan,
    Making a simple zone change should not have caused any issues. The only time any of my customers have had any BRCD to UCS issue, it's due to unsupported firmware. Even though you are doing NPIV to NPV connectivity, which is very solid technology, there are specific versions of BRCD FOS and UCS firmware that needs to be on both devices. Please check with Cisco and BRCD OEM for the specific version.

Also, I'm assuming you checked all the logs, portstatsshow, and porterrshow and they were all clean for the ports in question?

• 4.  RE: Brocade to Cisco UCS

Posted 11-19-2019 03:09 PM
    Yes we lost a blade on our UCS chassis during the last upgrade and cable move.
    We haven't been able to do a RCA but it appears that the one blade did not have redundant pathing - errors can be seen for weeks before the work.
    Oddly now that the blade is back up it has full pathing ( nothing was changed ) and is on the B fabric, where the other 7 are on the A fabric.

Harry C
    SysAdmin
    American Bar Assoc.

tout jour prest

• 5.  RE: Brocade to Cisco UCS

Posted 11-20-2019 10:49 AM

Have a root through the connections on the Brocade side for any signs of errors. We've had a few hardware problems with UCS and Cisco are, shall we say, a little shy in holding their hands up. One particular occasion, Cisco support swore blind there was no issue until we collated a body of evidence that proved that the errors (that caused an outage similar to yours), couldn't have come from anywhere else but from within their chassis. We got a reply to that saying they'd, rather coincidentally, just spotted exactly that issue and were looking to resolve it. What are the chances, eh? ;)

• 6.  RE: Brocade to Cisco UCS

Posted 11-20-2019 07:33 PM
    ​I had this experience when we moved to new storage arrays this year.  One of the storage ports was flapping which took out a path on the host.  When it came back up it would show all paths up on the array and on the Brocade switch, but ESX would show one path down.  To correct this we had to force the ESX host to re-login to the fabric by rebooting it.