Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

New to this and need help

• 1.  New to this and need help

Posted 30 days ago
    I am looking for a guide on how to setup ISL trunking between two Brocade 6510 switches, I cant see to find any docs to help me,

does anyone know a good  step by step as i am new to this!

Many Thanks

• 2.  RE: New to this and need help

Posted 29 days ago
    Hello,

find out Administration guide for your FOS version. There is a lot of information how to configure such setup.

------------------------------
    If my answer fulfilled your question please mark the reply as "Make Best Answer"

Kind Regards

Marian

• 3.  RE: New to this and need help

Posted 29 days ago
    ISLs are discussed in the "Brocade Fabric OS Administration Guide" for the version of FOS that you are running.

Also, there you should make sure that you have an ISL Trunking License. That is documented in the "Brocade Fabric OS Administration Guide" for the version of FOS that you are running.

• 4.  RE: New to this and need help

Posted 29 days ago
    You don't need a trunking license just to create an ISL.

If you actually want to aggregate ports, then yes, you will need a trunking license. The trunking license will come with the Enterprise license.

Sr. Storage Admin

• 5.  RE: New to this and need help

Posted 29 days ago
    Edited by Hortense Stephens 28 days ago

After you disable the zonning configuration on the new switch the active/effective zones woult still remain part of defined zoneset. Once you merge it with the fabric the new switch will receive the effective zonning information from the Fabric, however it will retain the old zonning information as defined configuration, this will not be added to the effective zonning, automatically. Thus you are right that the zonning information remains in the defined zonning on the new switch.

In case you are looking for the zonning from both the switches to be part of the effective zoneset, I would suggest you to follow the recomendations listed earlier :-

If you want the zoning data from both the switches to be there in the entire fabric then for them to automatically merge the conditions are:-

1). The alias names, zone names, and zone configuration names on the new switch and the fabric must be unique (the zone configurations must be completely different), or

2). The zone configurations on the new switch must exactly match the zone configurations of the fabric.

So for both zoning cfg sets to merge automatically you will have to ensure that all the zoning objects are unique and let the cfg on 48000 remain enabled and disable 4100's cfgset (using cfgDisable command on CLI) before merging. Else it will result in fabric segmentation and you will have to merge zoning data manually. Ensure that you take a backup of Wendy's Customer Survey the configuration on all the switches, just in case you may need them in case of some error. You should have scheduled maintenance window for all this activity as there may be some disruption due to zoning cfg changes.

Hope this answers your queries.