Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Brocade 300 functionality

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Brocade 300 functionality

Posted 03-20-2020 01:29 PM
    Hello everyone. Is it possible for a Brocade 300 switch to be used to connect both servers and storage arrays simultaneously, or is it meant strictly for the latter?  If yes, does it require an additional license?

Also, is it possible to move a PoD license from one Brocade switch to another? If yes, is it possible if the switches are different models? From what I can tell, there are different types of PoDs, such as 8 port, 12 port, and so on. What I'd like to know is, is it possible to use, say, an 8 port PoD on a switch whose ports are physically grouped by the dozen, and vice versa?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Brocade 300 functionality
    Best Answer

Posted 03-20-2020 01:41 PM
    You can connect your servers and storage to brocade 300. There is no additional license required.
    No you cannot move license to another switch.

• 3.  RE: Brocade 300 functionality

Posted 03-20-2020 01:54 PM
    Thank you for such a fast response, Nezih! Perhaps you wouldn't mind answering one more question?

Does connecting both servers and storage devices simultaneously require Access Gateway mode, which, in the case of the Brocade 300, appears to require that all 24 ports be enabled?

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Brocade 300 functionality

Posted 03-20-2020 02:01 PM
    if you need 24 port you should enable all ports with proper licenses. But if the default ports enough for you, you don't need anything.
    I recommend zoning configuration for storage connectivity. You will find many resources for zoning best practices and commands around.

• 5.  RE: Brocade 300 functionality

Posted 03-20-2020 02:17 PM
    That's good to hear. I just wanted to make sure all 24 ports didn't have to be enabled/licensed first in order to use the switch for both servers and storage devices.

Thanks again, Nezih!