Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Principal switch

• 1.  Principal switch

Posted 12-09-2019 04:57 AM
    Hi

I have 2 fabric with 3 switches in every fabric.
    Recently I added new switches to those fabrics. New switches are more powerful. They have more memory, ports and are 16 Gb.
    Is there a reason to set those switches as Principal?

• 2.  RE: Principal switch

Posted 12-09-2019 05:18 PM
    Unless you are running scripts against the switches, I doubt the memory or processing power matters much. Memory for zoning is limited to the switch with the least amount of memory in the fabric. When standing up a new fabric I take processing and memory capabilities into considerations but I wouldn't change anything in a production fabric for this.

I do think resiliency is important for the principal switch. I would set it as principal but would not force it on a production fabric. Note that the fabricprincipal command only sets the priority to influence the principal switch algorithm for the next fabric rebuild. The force (-f) option forces an immediate rebuild.

------------------------------
    Field Applications Engineer
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Principal switch

Posted 12-10-2019 12:19 PM
    I don't think it is important to have the new Switches as the Principal. Principal Switches just controls the Domain IDs of peer switches & NTP synchronization rest it is irrespective which one is ​the Principal.

MK