Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

ISL Questions

• 1.  ISL Questions

Posted 12-11-2019 09:59 AM
    Hello All,

Just a few quick ISL questions, if adding a new switch to my fabric.

1. You can run ISL's from either the principal or subordinate switch correct?

2. Do you need to clear the config that is on the switch you are adding to the fabric first?

3. Looking at "fabric principal --show" the feature is disabled, so there should be no need to worry about the new switch becoming the principal correct?

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Sr. Storage Admin

• 2.  RE: ISL Questions

Posted 12-11-2019 10:35 AM
    1. You can run ISL's from either the principal or subordinate switch correct?
    Don't concern yourself with principal/subordinate when planning a switch add. Use Best Practices for fabric design and attach the new switch appropriately.
    2. Do you need to clear the config that is on the switch you are adding to the fabric first?
    Depends. 1st thing though, do all the switchdisable tasks first. Such as Domain ID (DID). I would also recommend setting Insistent Domain ID.
    If there is a config (zoning), then yes, it should be cleared, else, you'll get an error message on the new E-Port.
    3. Looking at "fabric principal --show" the feature is disabled, so there should be no need to worry about the new switch becoming the principal correct?
    The principal switch is automatically elected. It is possible that this new switch could become the principal after it is connected. If you want to maintain the current principal, this can be setup using fabricprincipal commands.

• 3.  RE: ISL Questions

Posted 12-11-2019 10:36 AM
    3. Looking at "fabric principal --show" the feature is disabled

Is this an AG mode switch?

• 4.  RE: ISL Questions

Posted 12-11-2019 11:14 AM
    Also, I should be applying my license to the new switch for trunking before the merge as well correct? I want to make sure we have trunking and not just the standard ISL.

Sr. Storage Admin

• 5.  RE: ISL Questions

Posted 12-11-2019 11:24 AM
    Yes. With trunking, if the license is applied after the connection is made, all ISL ports will have to be disabled on both sides, then re-enabled. It's best to have the trunking license setup and both switches set to have trunking enabled prior to making the connection.
    Also, I'd apply all other licenses prior to connecting the ISL.