Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Installing/upgrading FOS

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Installing/upgrading FOS

Posted 03-26-2020 02:05 PM
    Hello everyone. If I understand correctly, POD licenses cannot be moved from one switch to another. They must remain on the switch for which it was originally licensed.

Is this also true of FOS? That is, if I have 100 switches of the exact same model, do I have to download a copy of FOS that's licensed for each individual switch, or is it possible to use the same instance of FOS on all of them?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Installing/upgrading FOS
    Best Answer

Posted 03-27-2020 02:04 AM
    A single copy can be distributed out to each switch without licensing. Make sure to read the release notes of the new version.
    I use an FTP server to distribute out over the network. USB thumb drive on an individual basis.

All the best.

• 3.  RE: Installing/upgrading FOS

Posted 03-27-2020 09:44 AM

You don't need to download separately for each switch.  Download one copy and install it on any number of switches – the licensing on the switch will not change.

Best,

David L.

• 4.  RE: Installing/upgrading FOS

Posted 03-27-2020 11:04 AM
    You can use the same instance of FOS for every switch in your environment.  FOS is not restricted by license although I am only at 8.1x on my switches.  Read the Release Notes, they are your best friend; and if you have switches connected via ISLs pay attention if you are mixing your FOS versions between those switches.

------------------------------
    Kr - Flake
    ------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Installing/upgrading FOS

Posted 03-27-2020 11:28 AM
    Many thanks to Gianni, livingstond and Flake!