Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Decommissioning ISL followed by SAN switch

• 1.  Decommissioning ISL followed by SAN switch

Posted 12-10-2019 05:50 AM
    Hello All,

I have a task to take out one each of the two switches in a dual SAN switch fabric.
    Our setup is as follows:
    Fabric A : 6500B connected to 300B by one E port (ISL)
    Fabric B : 6500B connected to 300B by one E port (ISL)

Task is to to remove and decommission the 300B's from each fabric and currently the 300B's are Principal switches in each of the fabrics.
    The 300B have 4 servers connected to them locally.

What should be the approach to minimize downtime and outage ?

My plan is as follows(one fabric at a time, say Fab A first):
    a. Move the server HBA connections from 300B switch to the 6500 physically(switches in the fabric are co-located) . Hope no zoning/rezoning required ??
    b. Remove the FC cable from the ISL port on the 6500B, so the switches will be disconnected, physically. This should make the 6500B a principal switch automatically ? If not, please suggest if the 6500B will have to be made a Principal switch explicitly ?
    c. Follow the standard decommission steps on the 300B (delete alias/zones/config/settings etc)

After few days, repeat steps a,b and c on the Fabric B

Regards
    Deborshi

• 2.  RE: Decommissioning ISL followed by SAN switch

Posted 12-10-2019 07:07 AM
    Hello,

a. Move the server HBA connections from 300B switch to the 6500 physically(switches in the fabric are co-located) . Hope no zoning/rezoning required ??

Thats true you don't need to touch on your configuration (zooning, mapping, etc.)

b. Remove the FC cable from the ISL port on the 6500B, so the switches will be disconnected, physically. This should make the 6500B a principal switch automatically ? If not, please suggest if the 6500B will have to be made a Principal switch explicitly ?

If there is no other switches in fabric, once you split ISL both switches will become principal within their "one switch" fabric.

------------------------------
    If my answer fulfilled your question please mark the reply as "Make Best Answer"

Kind Regards

Marian
    ------------------------------