Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Controller FC ports + Brocade 16Gb

• 1.  Controller FC ports + Brocade 16Gb

Posted 02-24-2020 10:11 AM
    Hi all!

In our currently environment and after the migration activity from old brocade switch bs5300 (8Gb) to new brocade switch bd6520 (16Gb) now we want to set maximum speed with storage controller ports (SPA/SPB - EMC unity in our case).
    How it will the impact if we change the speed fro 8Gb (currently) to 16Gb from target side?
    In this case we don't know the initiators ports for each one server may loss sync.

Many thanks.
    Best regards.

• 2.  RE: Controller FC ports + Brocade 16Gb

Posted 02-25-2020 02:00 AM
    Hi Alex,

First of all, if the storage is able to do 16G the ports when logon will always try to negotiate the highest speed, if that is not possible to lower to the next one down. But assume that the connectivity is clean and storage negotiates at 16G.
    Your question of the initiator ports loosing sync….? Not sure if I understand the question. The frame traffic will still be as fast as the lowest setting. Or what do you mean…? Loosing sync when you dis- and reconnect the storage…? You might let us know.

Regards,

Ed Schulte

• 3.  RE: Controller FC ports + Brocade 16Gb

Posted 02-25-2020 02:43 AM
    Hi Ed!

Thanks for the response. I refer that these initiators port may loss sync when change the speed at the controller.
    I attached a screenshoot at the Unity.

Base Port FC
    Then you can confirm us that is a clean change. Is that so?

Many thanks.

• 4.  RE: Controller FC ports + Brocade 16Gb

Posted 02-25-2020 03:52 AM
    @Berg Noir:  As you're about to change the port config of the EMC array, you'd better reach out to EMC and ask how they implemented this.

If you would change the (fixed) port speed setting on a switch port, this would toggle the port and yes, you'd loose connectivity through that port for a short period of time. This is most probably the same on the storage port, but as I said, this would have to be answered by EMC.

------------------------------
    Senior Systems Engineer
    Broadcom - Brocade Storage Networking

• 5.  RE: Controller FC ports + Brocade 16Gb

Posted 02-26-2020 02:52 AM
    many thanks @Thomas Scheld for the response.
    I going to talk with Dell-EMC about this topic so we can to have more security for the performance activity.

Best regards. ​​

• 6.  RE: Controller FC ports + Brocade 16Gb

Posted 02-26-2020 05:39 AM
    Hello,

the link will be toggled as the link initialization must occure. So the path will be down and FC frames will be dropped.

If my answer fulfilled your question please mark the reply as "Make Best Answer"

Kind Regards

Marian

• 7.  RE: Controller FC ports + Brocade 16Gb

Posted 02-27-2020 09:37 AM
    As already mentioned, changing port speed always causes loss of sync. since the speed need to be negotiated on both sides of that link.

Normally we would set Storage ports to hard set and switch port to auto negotiate. Then if the port is not come back up at 16G, lower the speed. (Or troubleshoot the link.).
    Regards,
    Ed