Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

SAN Switch migration

• 1.  SAN Switch migration

Posted 03-12-2020 11:02 AM

Hi All,

I have two 6510 principal switches and 10 5480 switches. These 5480 switches are connected with 6510 switches in access gateway mode

and 6510 have two virtual fabrics.

I want to consolidate these switches in two director class switches (6520). Please share the process and steps for migration along with the pre-checks

Cheers,
    Vinit.

• 2.  RE: SAN Switch migration

Posted 03-13-2020 03:05 AM
    Hi Vinit,
    First of all the 6520 are not a director class switch. And there is no default migration plan, each site is different. I suggest also the read up on the several guides on the site and become familiar with the consequences of the steps.
    But in general if you have 2 1-switch fabrics and you want to migrate to new switches, make a backup first before you start. Introduce each new switch into the existing fabric. So that all zoning config is transferred, then migrate your devices. Off course each fabric one at the time.
    As always there are loads of variants and might be other issues, specific to your site.
    If you have problems in getting a migration plan together, suggest to get in touch with your OEM and get Professional Services involved to get a tailor made migration plan.

Regards,
    Ed

• 3.  RE: SAN Switch migration

Posted 03-13-2020 03:26 AM
    Hi ED,

Thanks for the update and correction. Yes to migrate either on DCX chassis or 6520. Generally I am looking for pre-checks for virtual fabric configured switches and access gateway enabled switches.

Regards,
    Vinit

• 4.  RE: SAN Switch migration

Posted 03-13-2020 09:06 AM
    Hi Vinit,

Well, the obvious question is how are you planning to consolidate the 5480 server connections on to 6520's? 5480's are embedded chassis switches and the blade servers connect to the switch over the chassis backplane. You can't simply plug the blade servers in to a 6520, so what's your basic plan? Are you replacing all the servers with new hardware?