Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-27-2017 11:18 AM

Hello All!

I am trying to set up FCIP between my two 7800 switches. Because I need to keep my two fabrics separate that are on each side, I have enabled virtual fabrics on both 7800s and created two logical switches on each - one for fab A, one for fab B.

For Fab A, I created switch 101. It contains

FC ports 0,1

ge0

VE port 16

For Fab B, I created switch 102. It contains

FC ports 2,3

ge1

VE port 17

I only have the basic license that comes with the 7800.  I am running FOS version 7.4.1e.

I am trying to do this in CMCNE/BNA, as well as command line.

I have assigned IPs and routes.

I can ping and traceroute successfully.

If I do this just through BNA, going through the menu selection to Configure > FCIP Tunnels, when I try to add a circuit to my tunnel after selecting switch one and switch two, I get the error message "The maximum number of circuits (0) has been reached for this tunnel."  Since a tunnel requires a circuit, that is not right. No circuit displays to edit, it is just blank.  Can't add anything.

If I create a tunnel through command line, I get a default circuit, but when I go to edit the circuit and click on "Verify IP Connectivity" I get the error message that "FCIP Trunking requires the installation of the Advanced Extension (FTR_AE) license on your switch. Contact your preferred storage vendor for more details."  The thing is, no license is required because I'm not trying to trunk. I am trying to create one tunnel with one circuit (the default one). Support has verified no license is required.

However I try to create the tunnel/circuit, the remote side never sees it.  I can list the tunnel and circuit on the local side and see details, but if I list on the remote side, there is nothing configured.

I have successfully created a tunnel/circuit between physical switches (even these two physical 7800s), but given my limited hardware, need to use virtual fabrics this time around. We have another set of 7800s connecting different sites that is working just fine, and was super easy to set up.

I've been told by multiple support and account team folks that what I'm doing is supposed to work and is allowed, but it is not working so well for me.  If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thank you,

Annette

#bna
    #logical
    #VF
    #LS
    #virtual
    #fcip
    #BrocadeFibreChannelNetworkingCommunity

• 2.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-27-2017 11:42 AM

@Annette

just a stupid question, are you sure that on the other site end, the 7800 is reachable ?

• 3.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-27-2017 11:46 AM
    Not a stupid question. I'm hoping it is something silly that I missed!
    I can ping the IPs assigned to the ge ports, the gateway, and at least one other IP from each direction so I know both sides are on the network and reachable.

• 4.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-27-2017 11:57 AM

Annette,

did you have the same error as in this screen-shot ?

7800 FCIP Tunnel.jpg

• 5.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-27-2017 11:59 AM
    Yes, that is the error I get when I first create a tunnel via command line. I don't even get that far if I try to create it through BNA.

• 6.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-27-2017 12:07 PM

Annette,

you need the Advanced Extension License in order to configured FCIP, otherwise the Circuit cannot be created.

can you post here please the full output of "licenseshow"

Advanced Extension — This license enables two advanced extension features: FCIP Trunking and Adaptive Rate Limiting. The FCIP Trunking feature allows multiple IP source and destination address pairs (defined as FCIP Circuits) via multiple 1GbE or 10GbE interfaces to provide a high bandwidth FCIP tunnel and failover resiliency. In addition, each FCIP circuit supports four QoS classes (Class-F, High, Medium and Low Priority), each as a TCP connection. The Adaptive Rate Limiting feature provides a minimum bandwidth guarantee for each tunnel with full utilization of the available network bandwidth without impacting throughput performance under high traffic load. This license is available on the 7800, 7840, and the DCX/DCX-4S/DCX 8510-8/DCX 8510-4 for the FX8-24 on an individual slot basis.

• 7.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-27-2017 01:16 PM

I have not added any licenses to this switch - it is just the standard 4/2 license that comes with the purchase of a 7800.

I disagree that I should need the extension license for creating a single circuit on a single tunnel. If I were trunking or trying to do adaptive rate limiting, I agree that I would. If I were to set up a tunnel on the physical switch, it would work (it did work, I tried it), so I know that a single circuit on a single tunnel is allowed with the standard license. There are currently no other tunnels created on the switches. The challenge that I'm having is making the same thing that works on a physical switch work on a logical switch instead. All the documentation states that it works exactly the same, just that you have to move the ports into the LS, which I have done.

Personally, I think there is a bug somewhere, but I may be just saying that because I can't find a config issue.

-Annette 

• 8.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-27-2017 01:58 PM

Annette,

Q.Q.: I read again you initial post,

->I am trying to set up FCIP between my two 7800 switches. Because I need to keep my two fabrics separate that are on each side,

-> I have enabled virtual fabrics on both 7800s and created two logical switches on each - one for fab A, one for fab B.

....and create two logical switches on each.....

did you want to create two circuit in each one ?

• 9.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-27-2017 02:09 PM
    No, I just want one circuit per tunnel - nothing more than the default that is supposed to create. I'm only looking to create the one tunnel per logical switch, as well.

My understanding of licensing is that I should not need anything additional since I'm creating only one tunnel/circuit per ge0 port (one per logical switch). That's what I got from support, as well, so I feel pretty confident stating that. But currently I have nothing created, so the first single tunnel/circuit definitely should not cause issues.

I realize this does not give any redunancy or failover protection, but I'm okay with that.

-Annette

• 10.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-27-2017 02:27 PM

--->>>I'm only looking to create the one tunnel per logical switch, as well.

in Summary:

you have:

1x 7800 with LS_1 and LS_2

now you want to create:

One Circuit on LS_1

and

One Circuit on LS_2

on the same 7800 Phisical Box with base license.

is this correct ?

If yes, I think such a config is not supported, and for this reason you get the error message:

--->>> "The maximum number of circuits (0) has been reached for this tunnel." 

another issue can be caused, - as per my opinion - you have create a tunnel in Base Switch and want to add another one in LS_x no matter if one or more LS are created,  for a simple reason you cannot assign the same License on both Port

I'll not insist, and is probable I'm wrong here, maybe can @Martin.Sjölin give answer here.

• 11.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-27-2017 02:34 PM
    Yes, that is what I want to do.

My Brocade tech guy on my account team tells me it is supported, as does my support person.

If I create the tunnel via command line, it creates a circuit which allows me to Edit, but not actually use any buttons in the edit screen.

I did remove the tunnel from the default switch/physical switch after I proved I could do it, so currently no tunnels other than the one I'm messing with on LS_1 that I'm having difficulties with.

-Annette

• 12.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-27-2017 02:46 PM

Annette,

-->>My Brocade tech guy on my account team tells me it is supported,

as said, I'll not insist....

I've in my LAB one DCX-8510 with FX8-24 Blade, but my 7800 is defective and unfortunately cannot test such a config.

• 13.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-27-2017 02:49 PM

@DeniseK

can you Quickly Ping a TAC Please ?

Thank you.

• 14.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-28-2017 01:42 PM

Thank you for the tag, @Antonio Bongiorno!!!

I have forwarded this post to some folks that should be able to help. If we're unable to help via the Community, we can see about escalating to TAC for assistance.

Best Regards,

Denise

• 15.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-28-2017 02:15 PM

Thank you Denise,

@Annette question is simple:

can a Base license on 7800 be assigned to LS_x Switches in same Switch ?

Or is a additional License required ?

• 16.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-30-2017 02:14 AM

Hi Anette,

this should work, I think. What is your BNA version?

Have tried to create both your tunnels (each with one circuit) in the default switch?

Have you got the connection between your two 7800 this way working?

Have you tried to only working with CLI.

Notice that FIDs must be matching on each 7800 for Fab A (for switch 101 and the corresponding the other 7800). I did not see that covered in the conversation. 

With virtual fabric, either you can keep your ge0 and ge0 in the default switch and create the VEs in the logical switches, or you can move the ge0/ge1 into the logical switches which you have done, I understand correctly.  Have you tried to keep the geX in the default with the VE in the logical switches? 

• 17.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-30-2017 02:42 AM

@Martin.Sjölin

sorry my ignorance please .... and it is surely not my intention to teach anyone to the better

--->>>Have tried to create both your tunnels (each with one circuit) in the default switch?

she want to Create each one  Tunnel in the LS_x = Logical Switch, in LS_1 and LS_2 and NOT! in the Base/Default Swicth.

AFAIK a tunnel created in default switch cannot be moved to LS Switch ????

• 18.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-30-2017 02:52 AM

Hi Antonio,

Yes, I have understand that Annette wants to create a tunnel / circuit in each logical switch, but as part of troubleshooting trying to create them in the default switch is a test.  What she is trying to do should work, but if it does not work by creating a tunnel / circuit (with one geX in the same LS), I just wanted to know if it work in the default, or where it is failing.

• 19.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-30-2017 11:17 AM

I think there were a few questions...

Yes, I have tried and succeeded in setting up the tunnel in the default switch between the two 7800s.  I did not try both ge0 and ge1 - only one just to see that it worked.  I just wanted to prove that it worked and the challenge is the logical side of things.  That test worked.

I have not tried to keep ge0/ge1 in the default with VE ports in the logical switches.  I was hoping to keep everything together in separate LS, but if I can't figure out the resolution to this (if there is one), that will have to be my next step.  I prefer to have complete separation, mainly to keep it easier to manage in my own mind and so that no one else gets confused with what's what.

FIDs are set on both sides as the same.  I have FID 101 on both logical switches 101.

BNA version is 14.2.  Technically running EMC's CMCNE, but it is just BNA with a different splash screen.

I created the tunnel (and therefore default circuit) with CLI in order to get as far as I did in BNA.  I'm not as saavy with CLI as I'd like to be, so I did not do anything beyond the

portcfg fciptunnel 16 create -D xx.xx.xx.xx -S xx.xx.xx.xx -b 154000 -B 154000

other than listing it out.  It exists on the local switch, but nothing on the remote switch when I do portshow fciptunnel.

I think I covered all the questions asked.  I apologize for the formatting... I think I need to learn a bit more about the forums.

-Annette

• 20.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches
    Best Answer

Posted 06-30-2017 12:29 PM

Hi Annette,

thanks for your answer - so FIDs, are correct; you have managed to setup a working circuit/tunnel in  the default switch.

Good, so the FCIP is working correctly.  But you are failing in the setting up even one tunnel/circuit in the LS which work. 

There is another support case where they were not able to modify FCIP Circuits / tunnels via BNA without the license FTR_AE license,  and further also an issue with creating a 10G FCIP tunnel/circuit in a logical switch and received the same error message as you (but managed via CLI).  So, it might be BNA blocking in your setup, CLI should work

I will see if we can provide a example setup via CLI for, or if I can access to  2 x 7800 try work this out.

• 21.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 06-30-2017 02:39 PM

Okay, so as you suggested to finish it off with CLI, I took a look at my trusty guide and realized I was only one little command away from finishing the tunnel.  A little embarrassing that I didn't try that myself without a suggestion! :)  BUT it worked!!  So, my tunnel is created on both sides of my logical switches, for both fabrics... though I will not be migrating from our current solution for ISL to the Brocades until a few weekends from now. 

It looks like the answer is that set up is possible with the base license in logical switches for a single tunnel/circuit (per LS), but BNA 14.2 (still?) has a bug that does not allow it through the GUI so full creation has to be done via CLI, but modifications do work through BNA once the tunnel is created and talking.  I added my tunnel options with BNA for one LS and through CLI for the other set.

Thank you all for your help!!  I really appreciate it!!

• 22.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 07-03-2017 01:20 AM

Hi Annette,

good that you managed to set this up via CLI. From what I can seem it look like BNA also need the FTR_AE license to modify tunnel / circuits, and I will see with BNA people if defect exits or need to be created for this issue.

• 23.  Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Posted 07-03-2017 06:57 AM
    I was able to modify the attributes in BNA once the tunnel was created and active. I added IPSEC, only allow specific remote wwn, and add compression - without a license. Though if the link was disabled, I don't think that's an option in BNA.

I would very much appreciate knowing if there is already a defect for this. Please let me know if there is anything I need to do to assist with this if there isn't already one created.

Thank you!!