Brocade Fibre Channel Networking Community

Expand all | Collapse all

ESC Fabric ID conflict

• 1.  ESC Fabric ID conflict

Posted 09-18-2018 05:56 AM

Hi all

I am about to extend a fabric with a new switch.

All existing switches are running v7.4.1d with VF disabled and has FID 128.

The new swtich has 8.0.2c with VF enabled. No logcial switches is created, only the default switch as FID128.

When trying to extend the fabric the port goes to E-port, but it gets segmented.

Error says on the existing switch: ESC detected Fabric ID (FID 2 inherited) conflict with neighbor (FID 128)

On the new switch it says: ESC Fabric ID conflict

5 years ago the SAN was migrated to new switches and in the old SAN there was a switch running VF with 2 logical switches.

But as today no switch is using VF. I have no idea where this FID 2 is, all I can find is FID 128 on all switches.

Anyone with any experiance of someting like this?  Or any ideas?

Ola Torebrandt

#BrocadeFibreChannelNetworkingCommunity

• 2.  Re: ESC Fabric ID conflict

Posted 09-18-2018 06:14 AM

Hello,

could you please share HW names of your switches?

Are yo usure that ther is no logical switches?

Could you please check and share output of command on switch where VF is enabled?

lscfg --show 

• 3.  Re: ESC Fabric ID conflict

Posted 09-18-2018 06:22 AM

Existing switches are EMC connectrix DS-5300, EMC connectrix DS-300B, Brocade 5480, Brocade M5424 and EMC connectrix DS-6510B.

New switch is HPE SN6500B

Yes I am sure. I've checked all existing switches and they are VF-disabled.

Though, 5 years ago there was a switch connected that was VF-enabled with 2 logical switches. But that one was migrated off at that time.

• 4.  Re: ESC Fabric ID conflict

Posted 09-18-2018 06:23 AM

A-SW1-1:FID128:admin> lscfg --show -n

-----------------------------------------------------------

Switch Information

-----------------------------------------------------------

FID: 128

SwitchType: DS

DomainID: 11

SwitchName: A-SW1-1

FabricName:

• 5.  Re: ESC Fabric ID conflict

Posted 09-18-2018 06:44 AM

Hello,

from your output it looks like that FID 2 is comming from your old fabric. So it looks like that there is some old configuration somewhere.

1.) Try to check on VF-enabled switch if the XISL is enabled (via switchshow command)

2.) You may try to change FID of defualt switch to FID2 and enable E-Port again.

• 6.  Re: ESC Fabric ID conflict

Posted 09-18-2018 11:20 AM

I think I've heard about such an incident before. It required a huge escalation to L2 and L3. If my memory doesn't cheat me, they finally confirmed that there is really a phantom nonexisting FID somewhere in the memory which is impossible to cleanup using the standard CLI tools, and then provided a very specific cleanup procedure which really helped to fix the issue. I'd have a look into the KB to find all the details.

• 7.  Re: ESC Fabric ID conflict

Posted 09-19-2018 09:46 AM

Yes please,

It would be supergreat if you could find it.

Thx

• 8.  Re: ESC Fabric ID conflict

Posted 09-19-2018 10:27 AM

Well, I think the formal procedure is that Brocade support guys should have a look in there and give you the solution...

Try this one:
    ================
    Disabling FID check is the first step in trying to get the switches to merge.

Keeping Virtual Fabrics enabled to any Logical Switch can be accomplished by disabling FID checking on that logical switch. This is done through the Configure menu;

Configure>Fabric Parameters> step through options to get to Disable FID Check  - If fabric ID (FID) check is disabled, the fabric ignores the Fabric Identifier conflict with the neighboring switch during fabric formation. By default, FID check is enabled. If the fabric detects a FID conflict, it disables the E_Port with a Fabric ID conflict message. This parameter is configurable only if the switch is Virtual Fabric-aware and Virtual Fabric is enabled on the switch.

If this is unsuccessful a maintenance window will be needed to get the non-VF fabric to accept the new FID.
    For example:
    VF enabled 6510 (FID 110) --ISL-1-- {[non-VF 6510 --ISL-2-- non-VF 300 --ISL-3-- non-VF DCX] (default FID 128)}

To get this fabric to merge using FID 110 required the following steps;

1) FID checking is disabled on the VF switch
    2) disable ISL-2 and ISL-3.
    3) disable ISL-1
    4) enable ISL-1 (the VF 6510 and the non-VF 6510 should merge with FID 110)
    5) enable ISL-2
    6) enable ISL-3

The fabric should now be merged using FID 110. If more switches are involved the process would need to be rolled out to the other switches.

If the FID needs to be changed or the non-VF switches need to be moved to a different FID the same process would need to be followed again.
    ================

I hope that in your case it will be enough to complete the first step on your new VF-enabled switch.