Ethernet Switches Community

Expand all | Collapse all

Can BCM5482 or BCM54616S convert RGMII to SGMII and whether the SGMII interface of either of the switches can communicate with BCM5389

• 1.  Can BCM5482 or BCM54616S convert RGMII to SGMII and whether the SGMII interface of either of the switches can communicate with BCM5389

Posted 6 days ago
    Hi,

I am using a host controller which has only RGMII interface and the endpoint switch BCM5389 has SGMII interface.

We would like to use a low cost small factor RGMII to SGMII bridge device which can talk to my host controller (RGMII) and also to the switch BCM5389 (SGMII). Please suggest me whether BCM5482 or BCM54616S can be sufficient for this implementation or please let me know whether any other device is available for this implementation.

Regards,
    Padmesh

• 2.  RE: Can BCM5482 or BCM54616S convert RGMII to SGMII and whether the SGMII interface of either of the switches can communicate with BCM5389

Posted 2 days ago
    Hi Padmesh,
    Per your question I believe you are looking for the external gphy chip supporting RGMII and SGMII interfaces bridging to connect your host controller via RGMII and connect with BCM5389 via SGMII.
    Both BCM5482 and BCM54616S support RGMII and SGMII interfaces for your request.
    But suggest could you contact with your local distributor support to get our PHY team comment? Suggest you have to double check with PHY support/marketing team their recommendation of PHY chips for your case.

Thanks,
    Ryan

------------------------------
    Master R&D Applications Engineer
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------