Ethernet Switches Community

Expand all | Collapse all

BCM5389 Switch Interaction

• 1.  BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 08-29-2019 08:53 AM
    Dear Broadcom Switches Community,

We are using 2 Broadcom switches(BCM5389) in our Project. 

Below are the Port Mapping of these 2 switches,

Switch 1:
    =======
    Port 0-6 = User Interface
    Port 7 = Connected to Switch 2
    IMP Port = Connected to Processor

Switch 2:
    =======
    Port 7 = Connected to Switch 1
    IMP Port = Not used.

Requirement: Switch 2's Ports should be used via Switch 1.

As we have understood by the use of Port trunking feature we can able to communicate between the switches. So that we have found the below registers on the datasheet,

Mac Trunking control register (Page 032h, Address 01h) and Trunking Group Register (Page 032h, Address 090h).

So for enabling the trunking feature on the Port 7, we need to set Bit 3: Enable port 6-7 trunking group on Trunking Group Register. 

But as they have mentioned it will group 2 ports together for enabling this feature. But in our design, we have connected only one port(Port 7) from Switch 1 to one port(Port 7) of Switch 2. We would like to know that is our design is enough to enable this feature or not. ? 

------------------------------
    Thanks in Advance!

• 2.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 09-04-2019 12:26 AM
    Dear All,

Shall anyone please reply to this query.? 

Awaiting for your responses.

• 3.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 09-06-2019 05:06 AM
    Hi Mohan,
    For Trunking feature, 5389 supports mac-based trunking allows two ports to be grouped together as a single link connection between two switch devices. And trunk feature register configure is on each single 5389 chip and not for cross two 5389 chips.
    From your descriptions, you are using two 5389 chip and connecting by Port7 of each chip. The traffic learning will be handle by two switch chip itself.
    Can you please explain more for your requirement? - Switch 2's Ports should be used via Switch 1

Thanks,
    Ryan

Master R&D Applications Engineer
    Broadcom

• 4.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 09-12-2019 02:17 AM
    Dear Ryan,

Yes, you are correct. The traffic learning has been handled by two switch chip itself. Thanks for sharing the info.

Meanwhile, I have another requirement on port trunking feature.

I have connected 2 ports(Port 0 and Port 1) of a device 1 to 2 ports(Port 0 and Port 1) of device 2. I have successfully enabled port trunking feature on these ports. I would able to communicate between the devices. But I shall need to test this port trunking feature(Like redundancy, single-link connection) in deep. Kindly let me know if there any way to test these.

By now, below are the tests been carried out,

1. Without enabling the port trunking feature on the given ports, a loopback has been formed.
    2. After enabling port trunking feature, I could able to communicate between the switches.

• 5.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 09-13-2019 01:10 AM
    Dear Ryan,

I have carried out the below tests for the Port trunk's redundancy feature,

1. As said previously I have connected Port 0 and Port 1 of Device 1 to Port 0 and Port 1 of device 2.
    2. I have enabled the port trunk feature using the page 0x32, register 0x01 and value as 0x08
    3. I have enabled the pair 1(corresponds to port 0 and port 1) using the page 0x32, register 0x90 and value as 0x01
    4. I have initiated a file transfer via sftp from device 1 to device 2.
    5. As I have observed the packet transfer is occurring on port 1. On the half of transfer, I have removed the port 1's cable.
    6. But the packet transfer has not resumed on the port 0. But as per the redundancy feature, it should resume.

Kindly let me know if I need to modify my testing and also let me know if there any other registers to be configured.

Note:
    1. Currently, I have configured the switch on both the devices in Managed Mode.

• 6.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 29 days ago
    Hi Mohan,

To be clear, suggest can you use traffic generator such like IXIA connect one your BCM5389 board to test trunk? Use three ports giga link as following configuration figure for example.

One port S4 from traffic generator IXIA to inject traffic to BCM5389 board port Port4 and forward to one of trunk ports (Port0 and Port1) for Port0 example.

The Port0 and Port1 also connect to traffic generator port S0 and S1 respectively.

And you may observe the IXIA S0 will receive the traffic, then unplug the cable between IXIA port S0 and BCM5389 Port0 and it will be failover to Port1. And IXIA port S1 receive the traffic.

BCM5389 trunk registers write:
    - Reg(0x32: 0x01)=0x08
    - Reg(0x32: 0x90)=0x01

IXIA              BCM5389 device1

S4 ---------> Port4----------

\

/

S0 <-------- Port0 <--------

S1 <-------- Port1

Thanks,

Ryan

Broadcom

• 7.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 29 days ago
    Dear Ryan,

Thanks for sharing this info.

Could I use Port-based VLAN(Page 31h) to forward the traffic from Port 4 to Port 1 or Port 0

• 8.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 28 days ago
    Hi Mohan,
    Suggest to use ARL learn traffic between the Port 4 and Port 0, firstly to inject port pair traffic of Port 4 and Port 0 to learn each other.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Broadcom

• 9.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 28 days ago
    Dear Ryan,

Could you please guide me with the correct registers to accomplish this. Since I'm a newbie it would be really helpful for me.

• 10.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 27 days ago
    Hi Mohan,
    Do not worry about.
    For MAC address learn, It does not need to do any registers write.
    You just need to use traffic generator like IXIA two ports, one port connect to your BCM5389 Port4 and the other port connect to BCM5389 Port0. Then start to send the unicast traffic on IXIA two ports to do port pair traffic test. And BCM5389 Port4 and Port0 will learn MAC address automatically, then back to trunk test which I suggested - use one IXIA port to inject unicast traffic into BCM5389 Port4 and the traffic will go out from Port0.

========================================================================================
    Suggest to use ARL learn traffic between the Port 4 and Port 0, firstly to inject port pair traffic of Port 4 and Port 0 to learn each other.
    ========================================================================================

Thanks,
    Ryan

Broadcom

• 11.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 27 days ago
    Dear Ryan,

Thanks for the info. I'll get back once we got the ixia traffic generator to test it.

• 12.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 18 days ago
    Dear Ryan,

As I early mentioned below is the switch design for my project,

Below are the Port Mapping of these 2 switches,

Switch 1:
    =======
    Port 7 = Connected to Switch 2
    IMP Port = Connected to Processor

Switch 2:
    =======
    Port 7 = Connected to Switch 1
    IMP Port = Not used.

I would like to know is it possible to enable the Managed Mode in Switch 2(Since IMP port is not connected to the external CPU)  ?

• 13.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 18 days ago

Hi Mohan,

I cannot understand why your Switch 2 IMP port configure in managed mode? Because your Switch 2 IMP port is not used.

I draw your two switch chips connection configuration as below:

For BCM5389, if IMP port connect with external CPU and it needs to configure in managed mode.

In managed mode, some packets like reserved multicast will be trap to IMP port to external CPU by chip automatically. Please double check the datasheet.

If the IMP port is not used, and it does not need to configure in managed mode.

Please let me know if question.

Thanks,

Ryan

Broadcom

• 14.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 16 days ago
    Dear Ryan,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Below are my requirement of the Switch 02,

1. I shall need to use VLAN,
    2. I shall need to use QoS
    3. I shall need to use Port trunking

Kindly let me know for unmanaged mode, is it possible to use the above-mentioned features on the required ports.

Kindly correct me if anything is wrong in my question.

• 15.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 13 days ago
    Hi Mohan,
    It's fine to use the VLAN, QoS, Port trunking on your Switch 02.
    I believe these features will be used on your Switch 02 Port 0 ~7, since the IMP port does not use.
    It needs registers write for VLAN, QoS, Port trunking feature implement, it can use EEPROM configure or SPI access via external CPU on your Switch 02.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Broadcom

• 16.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 13 days ago
    Edited by Mohan Prasath 13 days ago
    Dear Ryan,

Thank you for confirming it. 

But the features like VLAN from switch 2 should be able to communicate with the switch 1 also.

Example:

Switch-01: Will have VLAN1 and VLAN2
    Switch-02: Will have VLAN1 and VLAN2

Now, both the switch should able to communicate by enabling VLAN on both the switches.

Could you kindly confirm, will this scenario will work on our current implementation

Since it's been connected via SPI, we are able to access the Switch 2 registers.

• 17.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 12 days ago
    Dear Ryan,

In addition to that, I would like to know the use of the Broadcast Storm Suppression or Rate control feature.

Will this limit the bandwidth of the incoming packet or will set the incoming traffic data limit.

• 18.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 7 days ago
    Dear Ryan,

Shall I get an update on this?

• 19.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 6 days ago
    Hi Mohan,
    Per your question of rate control feature, it is through the page 0x41 register configure to make ingress traffic to limit the traffic rate bandwidth.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Broadcom

• 20.  RE: BCM5389 Switch Interaction

Posted 6 days ago
    Dear Ryan,

Thankyou for confirming it.